Friday, July 29, 2011

Pickling

 

We have never tried any sort of pickling or canning, but I have been feeling the urge to branch out.  Since April, I have been carrying around a “perfect pickle” recipe which was featured Country Living Magazine (April 2010).  It actually comes from Judith Fertig’s recipe book Heartland.  I doubled the recipe.IMG_7786

The pickles are garlicky, but also have a sweetness.  I broke it down and I figure there is about 1/2 cup of sugar for each 500 jar of pickles!

I used Ontario garlic. It was huge and flavourful.

IMG_7784_1

According to the recipe the pickles can last 1 year in the fridge.  We are already on our 3rd jar, so I don’t think there is any chance of holding out that long.

Have you tried pickling? If you have any easy recipes to share, please let me know. I am thinking about trying beets. I really love beets and one my daughters enjoys beet salad.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I am seeing the light on the basement project.  It has been a good exercise.  I did a very bad thing accumulating far too much fabric.  I am going to make some resolutions about that. soon.

Today is July 29th.  I am reflecting about 30 years ago when all the little girls on our sleepy  street were up very very early to watch a certain princess.  In my thrifty adventures last week, I found this tin commemorative plate. Perfect for the girls’ tea set.

IMG_7864 IMG_7865

 

signature

13 comments:

  1. Your pickles look absolutely YUMMY! I'm really hoping to try making them this year too. I can't wait to see your basement sewing/playroom.

    Thanks for the reminder about Diana. Rest in peace, sweet princess. I was totally smitten with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I tried the Prudent Baby recipe, and they were a great hit. No sugar, but lots of salt, perhaps too much. I will definetely try to do this again before the summer is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love your jars, I've been eyeing them up on etsy but the cost, not to mention risk of breakage would be too high to get them sent here. No pickle recipe here I'm afraid, but yours looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come see Behr's room with some Alberta touches! I still miss "England's Rose." And despite what has all gone down concerning their marriage, those were the days of a prince and princess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious. We've never made pickles before, but they are on our summer bucket list. I may have to look at your recipe!
    Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother made the most incredible dilled carrot pickles, but I never did get her recipe before she died. We're definitely a pickle family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey friend,

    I got the canning bug a few years ago and love. Not pickles but jams and salsa! Yum.

    darn, those pickles look so delicious.

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your canning and pickles look great! I do hope my garden continues to flourish so I can can something!

    Take care,

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love pickles in this house like crazy. My mom has a great simple freezer recipe for sweet pickles. I will get it from her. Canning and freezing was a way of life at my house growing up. I am just too lazy to do it now!

    Love the burlap idea...and the bubble station is a great one, too. Good luck on your sewing/playroom. My kitchen cabinets will be here in three weeks! Let the construction begin!!!

    Have a great Sunday and get some rest tomorrow!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the recipe. My one attempt at pickling was a disaster (I blame the recipe), but this gives me hope. I would love to do some canning, but I have this fear that I would exhaust myself just rounding up the supplies and then not do it while heaps of tomatoes and vegetables wilt on my kitchen counter. Hmmm... I may need to see someone about this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never made pickles before. My grandmother used to make pickles and zucchini relish every year. Your pics look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. how fabulous to be able to pickle your own veg. I've always loved little cucumbers. bet yours are yummy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never pickled, but pickling and canning are on my agenda for the future. I really dislike store-bought pickles, so we never, ever have them. This post is making me drool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!