Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blue Mason Jars

IMG_7861
I took the week off the day job and while the girls have been at day camp,  I have been working on our basement trying to create a sewing space and small playroom.  My husband and I started this project about 7 years ago and lost steam.  Tiring work (moving stuff, standing drywall, priming, and finally painting).  My body aches.  I hope to be finished by Friday. 
It’s not all work and no play.   There has been alot of fun.  Making big bubbles.IMG_7842
Evangeline Hope loves bubbles so much.  I made her a little bubble station out of an old plastic bicycle basket zip-tied to the fence. The basket holds her assortment of bubble wands and potions.  She loves it.
IMG_7836 We also made a water balloon pinata for a dinner party the other evening.
IMG_7818I took a little break from my dust mask to try a DIY that has been on my list for a very long time. I love to give flowers in mason jars. I have never been fortunate to find a blue Ball mason jar.  They are certainly not plentiful in Toronto second hand shops.  So when I saw this project on Bridal Buzz I had to give it a go.  I have worked on five jars so far. It takes a little practice so that your brushstrokes don’t show. It is also tricky to get the right consistency between the blue and the thinner.  These photos actually show a little lighter than they really are.  I may make my next batch a little more aqua. It is a fine line.
IMG_7860
IMG_7863
I hope you are having a great week!

signature

11 comments:

  1. KJ I love them! This is such a lovely project - sunflowers in jars!And the water balloon pinata is so much fun! Maybe I should try that with my kids - they will be delighted for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love, love, those jars! Gorgeous!

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're such a good mommy KJ, i think the bubble station is an awesome idea. i'm sure your little one loves it. i know i do!

    i've found some of those jars here in Kingston but they cost an arm and a leg. your way is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been one busy Momma!!! Your sewing/playroom is going to be so much fun. Just think of the memories to be had! We can't get enough bubbles at our house either. Your jars turned out just gorgeous. Those sunflower blossoms just come alive with the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely sunflowers! I wish I had planted some this year. I am looking forward to my Black Eyed Susans, though. :)

    Also, I'm loving how you are teaching your kiddos to stich on burlap. I think that is a fantastic idea for my five year old. She'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there...dry wall is tough! I am excited for you to have some new spaces to work in for both you and the girls. I've wanted to try painting jars. I love learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for vacations....and for finished porjects!


    P.S. And I love the name Evangeline....it is just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing your craft and play rooms. Our basement has been stalled for a couple years, now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty pictures! I love the water balloon pinata. Good luck finishing your basement.
    Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you have a bubble station. My girls would flip for this. And I love the water balloon pinata... I've never seen this before. Beautiful jars, too. Good luck finishing your project :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A water piñata, wait till my girl sees that. What a great, and very very wet, idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!