Friday, June 24, 2011

Paint it White: Display Shelf

The Point of View bloggers are hosting another thematic linky party over at Just between Friends. This month's theme is the humble shelf. 

 

I thought I would share this little DIY.  I have been wanting a little shelf to display small objects - the sort of things I don't want the girls playing with everyday.  One of my neighbours was getting rid of this gem

Before

After
It was in pretty rough shape.  I cleaned, sanded, primed and painted the shelf white (Benjamin Moore Cloud White).  I backed a couple of the shelves with scrapbook paper (Crazy Quilt).

(Image via Basic Grey)

Our house was built in 1912. There are lots of odd crevices. The shelf fit perfectly between two pieces of duct work.
A couple of my husband's childhood Lionel CN trains.  The patent shoes were worn by both my daughters on their first birthdays.
Left me. Right him.
My baby shoes. They were also worn by my sisters. My mum had them bronzed.
There is still a little space to add a few more items.

Be sure to check out all the shelf links and add your own at Just Between Friends POV shelf link party.
{Thanks again for the birthday wishes} and have a wonderful weekend,

8 comments:

  1. How serendipitous to have a little nook to fit your newly acquired shelf! It fits like a glove in there. A lovely place for your little family treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely. I love the addition of the scrapbook paper. The matryoshka dolls are darling! What a fantastic display. Thanks so much for joining the Point of View link party, KJ. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sneaking in one last blog before we officially leave the house for a week. I adore what you did with the shelf. I especially enjoyed seeing all your fun little goodies tucked in your shelves and how it fits perfectly in your nook. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I like the paper you used and what a fabulous thing that it fits in the odd nook!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a complete transformation, I love it. The unit is such a great shape but with the lick of white and your paper it looks totally different. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I rescued something like that a while ago (more rudimentary), but I just put it up as-is. I love what you did with yours and may be inspired to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to find something similar for just the same reason. I love this project with all these little treasures from your past (present)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That shelf was destined to fill that space. Love how you've filled it with memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!