Sunday, May 29, 2011

Refashion: Child Bowling Shirt

I hope you had a lovely weekend!  We had a busy, but fun one.

Lily went to a bowling birthday party. She has never been bowling before. Strangely, on Friday, she told me that she wanted to wear a "bowling shirt" to the party. I am not certain how she knew about bowling shirts, but it made me ecstatic that she asked me to make her something. This is a new development, so I was eager to please. (I usually just make things without being asked to - you may know what I mean).

 I did a quick google search and found two really fun patterns, this pattern by the Scientific Seamstress and this tutorial by Ginger Freckle which modifies an existing Simplicity boys' shirt pattern.  Both patterns are from scratch, and I didn't have time to sew a shirt from scratch so I thought maybe I could refashion an existing shirt.  I went to the thrift store and found a size 6 boys white dress shirt for $1.00 (the label is "George" I think that may be Walmart). 

I cut the bottom hem to make it straight (rehemmed), cut the sleeves short (hemmed) and carefully removed the side pocket and collar with a stitch ripper. 

Using the fabric pictured below and Ginger Freckle's measurements, I created a side stripe and a squarish side pocket. I also created a new collar because the original collar was a little small in bowling shirt terms.

(image via Joann's)

It's a strike!!?


Have a great week and check out all the projects at Made by You Monday


17 comments:

  1. last minute bowling shirt ? bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute the shirt and especially the little girl! She is adorable!

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling shirt and I love the ant print. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this was a neat job! Looove the ant print too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Lily must have been so proud to wear it! We took the boys bowling for their first time a few weeks ago and they loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did it again. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our kids love bowling but I didn't realise there was a special 'bowling shirt'. Yours is fab, really fun and I'm very impressed your girl is wearing it out of her trousers and with a pocket on the left breast. You see, Wikipedia put me straight and I know everything there is to know now. Thanks KJ for improving my knowledge!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bowling shirt refashion is so cute, KJ. That little print was the perfect choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat way to make a bowling shirt! It is darling and such a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute and just lovely photos of your daughter! They both are lovely angels!!! I need you to make some for my little bowlers. I certainly wish I had your great sewing talents.

    Have a wonderful week...
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genius! Thanks for finding my bowling shirt 'tute' and featuring me on your blog - I so appreciate it ;o) Your daughter's bowling shirt turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best bowling shirt I've seen! And yay for being asked to make something!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That turned out seriously cute!! Great job Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so adorable! I love that Lily asked for a bowling shirt... too funny :) Great job, KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bowling shirt is so much fun and I really like your choice of print! And I love the ruffled pants in the post below. It was well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well this is just about the cutest shirt ever! Great job on re-purposing another shirt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!