Sunday, May 22, 2011

Make It Work: Skirt Refashion

I purchased this skirt over a year ago at the Salvation Army because I loved the fun nautical fabric (pennants, life preservers, and cruise boats - couldn't resist).  The skirt was about $2, very long, size 13/14 and has a side four button enclosure, bearing a label "Alluffe, made in Canada."


I have been waiting for the right inspiration to refashion it.  I saw Disney's tutorial and knew the skirt would be suitable.  As one of the astute commenters on Disney's post pointed out, if you like Anthropologie's Cloudless Skies Paperbag Skirt this is a cost effective way of achieving a similar look.  Keep an eye out for long skirts.

I took six inches off the hem which I used to create the ruffled paper bag waist and a sash.  I bound the sash in navy bias tape.



I am posting this to Sew A Straight Line's Make it Work.  If you are interested in refashion, I recommend reading all the posts in this series. I have found it really inspiring.


I hope you are having a lovely weekend. It's a long weekend here and for Canadians summer's unofficial start.  We spent so much time outdoors yesterday enjoying the sunshine and today we went to the Royal Ontario Museum to see the Water Exhibit and up the CN Tower.  One of those days which was just a ton of fun.

Happy Victoria Day! This post is linked to
make it wear it

8 comments:

  1. I like the contrast of the navy trim. Very nice.

    We spent much of today tackling laundry and other household tasks as we all tried to recover from the crazy sunburns we got hanging out in the kiddy pool yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it turned out great ! a big improvement !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I actually have been attempting a similar project with a long white skirt I found at the thrift store. It will need some more work...I made the waist too big! The navy trim was a stroke of genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADORABLE!!! Love the red shoes and top with the skirt too. Beautiful makeover. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo. Love it. So very satisfying to get such a lovely skirt for so little money too. Thanks for the link, I'm off to check it out ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful refashion, KJ, and very flattering. Love the navy trim. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project. I love repurposing thrift store clothes! And I'll check out the blog you recommended. The dress form on my blog is from the store where I work. It is quite old. Thanks for asking!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!