Sunday, May 8, 2011

Eiffel Tower

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. It was sunny and beautiful in Toronto.  When my husband asked what I wanted for mother's day, I said just a few hours to sew!  my wish was granted!
 I wanted to make a spring top that was influenced by Lily Pulitzer who is one of my favourites.  I used this 1965 Simplicity Pattern 6015.  I located my pattern at Value Village (in size 14).


and Michael Miller's Eiffel Tower fabric.   For our family, the Eiffel Tower is as iconic as the Union Jack (when it comes to the whole London v. Paris debate, my husband is London and I am Paris {please don't hate me}).  Here is a scan1900 black and white that  hangs in our living room.  I picked it up at an antiques auction  in the mid-90s when we were studying in  Texas.

and here is one of Mr. KJ "holding" the Eiffel Tower on holiday about a decade ago.


So this is my top - kinda Paris meets Miami.   It was so bright today that you can't really see the print.  I have had this fabric in my stash for about 20 months and it's one of my favourites. It appears that this particular colourway is no longer available. I used to get scared about cutting into my favourite fabrics, but now that I am on a mission to get through the stash, I fear no more. 


The top front is composed of three front panels (with side darts and slits), and an invisible back zipper with darts at the back neckline.   Hemlines and facings are secured by hand.  I made a belt from crochet lace that I picked up in Norway and stitched the lace to the same fabric.  I have added the top to Made By Rae's Spring Top sewalong.




The Eiffel Tower fabric also comes in other colour ways {still available}, such as aqua and cranberry.   My pal stitched up this beautiful apron for one of her friend's 40th birthday.  It makes a beautiful birthday, hostess or Mother's Day gift.  There is also a black and pink colourway which would make a sweet little baby girl nursery.
(Shown: pattern Amy Butler's domestic goddess half apron and bordered tea towel pattern from Sew 4 Home).





Thanks for stopping by and have a lovely week!


18 comments:

  1. your top turned out great & what a lovely belt (is that crochet lace trim?)
    i wanted a sewing afternoon for Mother's day & i got what i wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything Lilly too! I actually order a couple of her bathing suit cover ups for the summer.

    You are one talented thing! what a lovely Mothers Day project.

    Happy Mother's Day my friend.

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! I love the high neckline, and the belt! What a fun way to throw in a souvenir from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is so lovely and it fits so well. I've been buying a 'few' vintage patterns recently and am just starting one today (for the elsie marley challenge) for my girl. Did you need to modify the pattern in any way at all, or just go for it? It really does look great! I can totally relate to your going through the stash attitude, I feel the same, there is just too much now on my shelves it's getting silly ..

    By the way I love Paris too, so I like both you and your husband!

    Kate (who lives in LONDON !!!!) X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind feedback everyone.
    Rachel, yes crochet lace trim. I picked up a few yards in Bergen. I absolutely love it and it's wonderful to work with.
    Kate, this pattern was sized 14 which was too large, but vintage patterns which were printed in Canada only came in one size. I cut it at size 14 but before the facings went I adjusted the front and side seams. It took a little bit of tweaking, but other than that it came together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one talented seamstress! What a lovely Mothers Day project. The fabric is just beautiful and the belt is a beautiful touch.

    Happy belated Mother's day and happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet top KJ! Great use of lace in the belt. I often wonder what I'll make with the ton of lace I have. Belts are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The top is gorgeous, KJ. I LOVE that fabric. It's a great color on you, too. Love that you used a vintage pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how modest you are with your wishes KJ! :)
    Your new top is fabulous and the color of the fabric really suits you well!
    I always have a fear striking moment before I cut fabric I love and think "What if I ruin it?" and this is immediately followed by "Well, I can always make fabric covered buttons!"

    Have a fabulous week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The top turned out great! I think the apron looks wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog....and your top! I am all about vintage patterns too. They are my favorites! I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you are so clever to ask for time -- and the blouse turned out great. I am feeling like some of the fabrics in my stash have been there so long, I need a little turn over too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your top is so pretty and it definitely has that Lily Pulitzer feel with the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! That is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it - you look adorable in it.


    Love the old black and white print!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so talented! You've been sewing the prettiest creations lately! I love your top! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute, I love this top! I have a huge fabric stash...I just need to stop buying cute fabric until I have more time to sew.
    www.littlewondersdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is adorable. I'm so impressed that you were able to adjust from size 14 and get such a great fit. Patterns sort of intimidate me (probably just from lack of experience, and also all those fancy sewing words that I have to look up:)). What a great top for spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!