Sunday, March 20, 2011

El Meco Dress (Built by Wendy Simplicity 3835)

When we were on vacation, we had an opportunity to visit a Mayan archaeological site, El Meco.  It was just a 15 minute walk from our resort and we were able to enjoy the entire site to ourselves, along with hundreds of iguanas.




This is a choote, the kids told me because they saw one on Diego
El Meco was a fitting site for a photo shoot for my latest dress attempt. This is Built by Wendy, Simplicity 3835, no darts, no zipper. I made this dress, which is really more of a form, just to get the sizing right. I plan to attempt the dress again - with darts and zippers - now that I know what I am working with. I made a mistake lengthening the sleeves. I shouldn't have done that. 

The fabric choice is Anna Marie Horner's Good Folks in sea (for Free Spirit) . The fabric was challenging to match the print. I messed up in one spot.

What made me happy was my little one found a scrap of the fabric on the floor. She picked it up and said "Mummy sews."  Miss Lily calls the dress an "iguana dress."


I am not sure why I want to make my own clothes again. When I was a teenager, I made close to 80%, maybe 90% of everything I wore. I suddenly have the urge back.  It feels so great!

Happy spring, my friends!
This dress is linked up to
make it wear it

11 comments:

  1. I'm envious of your sewing talents and your lovely vacation setting. You did a beautiful job on your dress. Such a sweet picture of you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, yay for a Diego education! I learned what a tapir is the same way (=

    Great print you chose for the dress. I really love AMH fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the back drop is perfect for your funky material. Love that dress.

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It came out so cute. It's great that you sew things for yourself. I really need to start doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me want to sew for myself. What fun photos in Mexico, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric you chose, KJ. It's very flattering on you, too. Great dress. And a beautiful backdrop... I love that you saw a choote:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh yes, gorgeous! I love the print, it really suits that pattern and you've also managed to find another stunning place for your photoshoot! Your holiday looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pattern you chose is so rewarding and you can wear it for a number of occasions. I have made one for Eva and me using the same pattern. The fabric choice is fabulous and the photos are phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That colour suits you so well, KJ. And what a perfect setting for your shoot! Gorgeous ruins!

    That choote is cute. Never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so cute! It will be fun to see your future versions of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress is beautiful and the green print compliments you very well. Thank you for visiting by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!