Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crafting with my kids: The Leprechauns have arrived


While listening to some Irish tunes this past weekend, we worked on cardboard tube leprechauns.   The project idea is included in Family Fun's special spring issue, or you can find the instructions here.  We used a couple of paper towel rolls and an aluminum foil roll (which has a thinner diameter) and cut the tubes to various heights.

Someone became very focused.



The "green grass" is actually produce mesh from avocados. We eat a whole lot of avocados in this house.



While this craft was probably not age appropriate for my girls (a little advanced), they absolutely love playing pretend with the leprechauns and the activity raised a number of critical questions, "mummy why are there no girl leprechauns?" {One of the online answers to this question is that there are, they are called leprechicks} .

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter - I hope you're having a great week. 
I have laryingitis.  The girls are enjoying my silence,

This post is linked to

22 comments:

  1. I can't wait to share this with my sister. She's married into an Irish family and they love St. Patty's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how much thought you put into crafting with your girls and celebrating all of the little holidays along with the 'big' ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable, KJ. Hoping you feel better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great way to reuse those tp tubes !

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at those little red curly beards, hee hee, they are so perfect! if these aren't lucky, I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! I love the pipe cleaner beards. Their faces are adorable. Hope you feel better soon, KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww they are so cute. I love the little beards!!! I teach an art and crafts class with 4 little homeschooler girls. Two are 7 yrs old and two are 6 yrs old, so I love to do crafts with children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those guys are cute!

    Hope your week is a good one also!

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get well soon!
    As for the project - you got me at the beards! I think they are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love Family Fun! In fact, I made one of these last year for my St. Paddy's mantel. (Which I don't have out yet!) My creative writing class is doing the leprechaun traps for a project...They will be presenting them to the Kindergarten classes at our local elementary school. Check out my the beginnings of my pixie project when you have time.
    Happy St. P crafting!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO CUTE! and so FUN!

    I wish my girls were still into fun crafts.

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh. my. gosh. so adorable! i love the hats!
    feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable! The beard is my absolute favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We might just have to try these, KJ, I think the kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute Kareena. I so wish I was crafty... and so do my boys I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So Adorable! Love the little beards!

    Jodie

    www.lovelaughteranddecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. These little guys are so cute!!! I'm going to be giving you an award on my blog. Please come check it out!

    Amy
    sittingatourkitchentable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so adorable! We'll be giving these a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute and looks like fun!

    I included it on my "A Peek at My Pinterest" St. Patrick's Board post.
    http://www.amytriedit.com/2012/03/peek-at-my-pinterest-st-patricks-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your leprechauns! I shared them in my St. Patrick's Day round-up today: http://crazydazedesigns.blogspot.com/2012/03/seeing-green.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!