Thursday, March 24, 2011

Crafting with my kids: Bluebird Nests on Tin Can Stumps


I have a love affair with nests and so do my girls. I think the little board book "Are you my mother" started it all.

Last year, we made a paper mache nest .  We love that nest so much it's on permanent display.  

I thought the girls would enjoy another nest craft and I spotted this little project idea on Busy Bee Kids Crafts via Childmade {both sites has some really fun crafty ideas for preschoolers}.

This project uses those plastic eggs you find at the dollar shop, but we changed up the materials slightly. I didn't have any paper plates on hands, but found two small plastic ones which we covered in faux bois contact paper (one of my favourite craft supplies).  We recycled some brown tissue paper from the stash. The wings and beak are craft foam and we used googly eyes (googly eyes are Lily's favourite craft supply). 

We wanted our nests to sit on a tree stump, so tin cans were also covered with contact paper.



These little birds are wondering when spring will arrive (it snowed all day yesterday)... maybe this weekend ?

This post is linked to

16 comments:

  1. How sweet are those nests!!! Darling. Josie would love this craft too. We have a chocolate bird nest dessert that we make every Easter.

    Despite our snow and ice, happy spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Wish my boys appreciated little nests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a creative mom! I would have loved to do all your activities when I was a kid. Who am I kidding, I would still love to do them now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are oh so cute. I love nests, too. Such a fun project for your girls.

    It snowed here yesterday, too. I wish spring would hurry up already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what sweet little birdies. And such clever girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KJ I am in love with the birdies and their nest! This is a fabulous project, but I have one question. I didn't see you mention the bodies of the birds. They appear to be of plastic. Am I correct??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently it's "nest" week in blogland, hee hee!!! Your nests and birdies are too cute, KJ. Maybe they'll magically bring on Spring, eh?... We froze here yesterday. No snow, but still. Come on Spring, we're ready for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the sweet feedback folks. Little Treasures, we used blue plastic egg shapes (one half per bird!). Great non-candy use for these eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a creative idea to do with kids! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought so but wasn't sure!! Thank you KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet idea, thanks for visiting my blog, I appreciate it!

    Carlee,
    ladybirdln.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Your girls are so lucky to have such a creative, fun Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are adorable! my daughters would simply love to make these! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i LOVE this!! i am going to make this with my kids too! i found you through the crafty crow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!!! I just adore this bluebird craft!!! My daughter and I had so much fun making it! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to creating some of your other fun crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there!

    You inspired me to make my some of these cute egg birds. Thank you! I have linked back to you.:)

    http://allthingschildren.blogspot.com/2011/09/plastic-egg-birds-craft-and-game.html

    Take care,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!