Friday, February 25, 2011

Handy Needle Books


Whenever I go away on vacation, I bring along a hand-stitching project (e.g. these puppets were made on a vacation as was much of this table runner).  So I absolutely love this needle book my pal gave me for Christmas.  The needle book is loosely based on a project found in Ruth Singer's The Sewing Bible (an excellent resource). (Fabric Michael Miller, Birds of Norway one of my favourite fabrics).




I loved my needle book so much I made this one for my BFF's birthday from a large scrap of Amy Butler fabric.


If you want to make a needle book, Tip Nut has a super duper round up here.    The next needle book I plan to  make will be Ever Kelly's needle case. This case is unique as it has dedicated storage for embroidery scissors and very stylish twill tape labels.

Martha Stewart has tutorial for a basic felt needle book here and in Emma Hardy's new book, "Sewing for Children" (p. 82) there are instructions for a needle book that a child who is learning to sew could make.

You can also embellish your needle book to make it extra special.  Sandi over at Embroideroo has a project in Creating Country Threads magazine which makes me smile. Other examples using embroidery on the cover, here and here.

Do you carry a needle book? I would love to see it! Feel free to include a link in the comments.

Have a great weekend and be sure to check out all the great projects at Tatertots and Jello's Weekend Wrap Up Party.
and


17 comments:

  1. So pretty. I can't wait to explore your links further. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Birds of Norway fabric. Beautiful! These are so cute. I don't have a needle book, but I don't do much sewing by hand. I have a few embroidery projects I'd like to try, though, so I might just make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the fabric is exquisite! I love the needle cases - they are great and I certainly need one of these! I keep them in a small, wooden perfume bottle container. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely...and something I need to make for myself. I just downloaded Kelly's pattern you recommended. Thank you and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress in the previous post is lovely...And you look lovely in it! My neighbor has something similar that I see her carrying with her when she takes her kids to our neighborhood park. I am so envious of you...I would love to be able to sew with confidence!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea!

    I love those fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love needle books! I could use a few more! Thanks for the great links KJ I will definitely be checking those out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made a bunch of these and can't believe how much I love them. I like that you made the covers fabric, I've always used felt, I think they look a lot more professional with fabric.
    http://laurathoughts81.blogspot.com/search?q=needle+book

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's right, my pin cushion was in the photos. Gotta love some Amy Butler.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are adorable. I'm your newest follower. It would be great if you could stop by my blog Monday and add your project to The More The Merrier Link Party.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project, and so useful! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! It's so pretty too. I love Amy Butler fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been sewing all my life and I've never had a needle book. I think it's about time....I'm making one! Thanks for sharing this cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s a great piece of work buddy. I really appreciate it. The birds picture & the color combination you have chosen is really mind blowing. I get a very good idea to make something new from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catching up on my blog reading - and I'm so flattered to be mentioned next to your gorgeous needlebook. Love the clip-on keychain. :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just recently became aware of needlebooks, such a great idea. I love the ones you made- so pretty! I wonder if it would work for machine needles too?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!