Saturday, January 8, 2011

Snowflake Matching Game

When a snowflake melted, that design was forever lost. Just that much beauty was gone, without leaving any record behind.
Wilson Bentley

We had quite a bit of snow today (by Toronto standards).  In the rush to shovel the sidewalk, it is so easy to forget how magical individual snowflakes are.  I (sadly) only recently discovered the amazing work of the snowflake man, Wilson Bentley, (we are using this book) so I was really excited by this little project my sister created for her class. 

She found the snowflake images by a simple google images search.  She printed out two sets of images: the first set was laminated to a piece of cardboard and the second was used by the children to match.


For older children, it might be fun to create a similar solitaire game using Bentley's original images.  You can try a computer version on the official Bentley's site here.

I hope you are enjoying the weekend, we are off to toboggan!


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the super project KJ!
    I checked the link and played a quick game!
    The photographs of the snowflakes are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year KJ. I love all the creativity you've been up to, especially that gorgeous tooth fairy pillow. Thanks for the notice that Chinese New Year is approaching, I'll be taking the children to China Town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think my girl would love this too!

    Just stopping by to let you know that each Friday we'll hold weekly linky under the name "HIGH PAW - show us your best!" and anything toddlers related is welcome! :)

    You can add your ideas to last weeks linky here: http://best-toys-for-toddler.blogspot.com/2011/01/high-paw-show-us-your-best.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I studied "Snowflake" Bentley's work as a little girl in Girl Scouts. I'd forgotten all about him! Thanks for the link to his work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!