Thursday, January 13, 2011

Handmade Guest Project: Sabrina's Quilt - inspired by a Flickr photo

Happy Friday, my friends!

I mentioned last week, that I would be featuring a number of handmade gifts that readers have shared with me.   Christine sent me a few photos of a quilt that she made for her second oldest daughter, Sabrina.   Christine was inspired by this {adorable} flickr photo and made a plan.  Essentially, it is a diamond in a square which I believe is a traditional Amish and in my opinion, timeless quilting pattern. It works so well with a multitude of colour ways.
Christine's plan. 
She used a rotary to cut her pieces.  It is a 4X4" square inset as a diamond in a 6X6" square.

The finished quilt was originally going to be 99 blocks but she changed it to 120 blocks (76" x 90").  The backing is blue gingham. The cuts took about 2.5 metres of fabric.
Christine is a loving mum to 7 (yes, you read that correctly)and this is the "safe place" where she sews. 


 The fabric was pieced together by machine, but she quilted by hand.



the blocks are done add the sashing in the wee hours


200 metres of quilting thread later

the finished quilt

Christine, thank you so much for sharing this special handmade gift.  Since I have started this blog I have gravitated towards quilting and spent way too much $$$ on Quilting Arts publications (!!).  My desire is to one day make something this special for my girls. 

Have a lovely weekend,


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The traditional design will grow with her daughter for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I have never made a quilt but always fill my eyes and say that maybe one day I will make it the traditional way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful. I admire how organized she is too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Gorgeous pattern, and I love the colors. Her daughter will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Gorgeous pattern, and I love the colors. Her daughter will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My compliments to Christine, whose craftsmanship so exceeded that of the original quilt that inspired her! The quilt in the Flickr photo was one I made in a haze of happy expectation before the birth of our first granddaughter, Ivy, now 9, and the quilt has since passed on to her brother Ezra (the happy boy in the photo.) This pattern is really fun to make with its nice straight lines and endless colour possibilities. Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thank you, Dianne. That photo was the first thing I saw when I opened my computer for weeks... (more for that Ezra than the quilt, actually... what a little character!) I also made it in a haze, with Christmas looming... would you believe I started it December 8th?! In the last week there were 3 nights that I went to bed after 3am just to get it done. Maybe someday I'll be somewhat organized with planning and time management and all that — lol! I hadn't made a quilt in a couple of years, so it was a nice enjoyable project for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!