Monday, January 31, 2011

Dollar / Discount Store Revamp: Valentine's Chair Backers

This is the follow up to yesterday's chair backer post (thank you so much for the kind feedback - made my day!!).    My sister didn't feel like putting together a chair backer from scratch so she revamped one of those dollar store discount felt treat bags.

Here is the original felt sack (this one was $4.99 at Winners - aka TJ Maxx state-side)



She turned it into this
She just used some red felt from her stash for a little mail sack topper and used the existing handles for chair back ties, adding buttons and button holes

Now, I have spotted this particular felt sack at several Dollaramas for $1, it is a little smaller than the one my sister used, but it should still work - perhaps fit some cardboard in the bottom to keep the structure.

Have fun.  If the stars and naps are aligned, I will be showcasing a few more Valentine's Day dollar store  projects and I promise none involve hideous feather handcuffs,

8 comments:

  1. Ok. This is brilliant for the non-sewer (ME). Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful project! Your blog is full of them! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I love how it turned out. You can't even tell that it was a tote bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! So glad handcuffs won't be making a debut! Your sister is so clever. Good genes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for doing all the research! We have several discount stores in our area. I am definitely putting this on my to-do list for the weekend. Tori and I have been making felt Chinese food for her American Girls dolls. Do you mind me giving you credit for the idea on my blog later in the week?

    Please, please keep all these great ideas coming! I just love to visit your blog!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is equally attractive as the sewn bags!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!