Sunday, January 23, 2011

Crafting With My Kids: Pompom Puppets for Groundhog Day


Meet our Punxsutawney Phil and Wiarton Willie.

Phil Connors: Excuse me, where is everybody going?
Fan on Street: To Gobbler's Knob. It's Groundhog Day.
Phil Connors: It's still just once a year, isn't it?

This weekend, we interrupted our Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day crafting, to get ready for Groundhog Day.   It was SOOO cold today, compounded by the fact that we had to get in a pool for swimming lessons, eeek! Spring was on our minds.

Growing up, Groundhog Day was an extremely important holiday my household.  We lived in a city that experienced terrible winters {in the seventies} and my sisters and I always looked forward to Groundhog Day and any predictions concerning spring's arrival. 

The idea for a Groundhog Day puppet comes from family crafts, but we used a pompoms to make the groundhog.
Materials:
Glue
Tongue Depressor
One large brown pompom for groundhog body
small scrap of white felt for teeth
Three small pompoms for ears and nose
Set of googly eyes
Cup if you want to insert your puppet into a hole

My 2 year old does not know what a groundhog is, so she called her project a beaver.  During the creative process, we ran into a major glue situation so the craft paparazzi was cut short.  Yikes!

I'll rely on my sister's shots for this one.


The nice part about this project is that on February 2nd, you and your kids can take your tongue depressor and see if any of them see their shadows.

Psst... no shadows today.

Have a lovely week,

{I will announce a winner for the giveaway tomorrow.}


This post is linked to

Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up

Bubbly Nature

Childmade




15 comments:

  1. how cute are those beavers! i know they're groundhogs, but I like the fact that your 2 year old called them beavers. just the sweetest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is too darn cute! I love how cute these turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea--I like what you did with the paper cup. It never crossed my mind to tell my girls about Groundhog Day! I guess I should. It's kind of a cute holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute project! Whenever Groundhog Day is mentioned I always think of the film and shudder at the thought of being frozen in time (a day actually).

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! What a great project. And Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies, so love the quote. My youngest was actually born on Groundhog Day:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them! They definitely made me smile! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way too cute! Love the over-sized eyes and teeth! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cute idea! I will have to do this with my son. He would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL how cute! I almost forgot all about Groundhog Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So freaking adorable! The kids look like they had a blast:)

    blessings,
    Jen

    Bella Grace Home

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute!!! What a great idea! having a link up party here: http://tinyurl.com/4m5k27k would love to have you come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh fun! Think I will try this one!

    Sarah
    (Visting you from Bubbly Nature's Project Party Weekend)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been featured! come grab a button... thanks for linking up
    http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/01/project-party-weekend-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog. This is such a cute idea!!! Love all your Chinese New Year stuff too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!