Monday, January 10, 2011

Crafting with my kids: "{You} Complete Me" Puzzle Wreaths


I have been working on a toy purge and came across this little wooden butterfly puzzle which the girls no longer played with or seemed to care about. It is the "craft kit" sort you find in the Michaels dollar bins (top right, below).  I was going to toss it in the Goodwill bin and stopped myself, I mean really - who is going to enjoy playing with that? The purpose of it was to decorate the puzzle and then I remembered that Craft Bits had a little puzzle wreath project on recycling puzzle pieces to make a wreath.
The girls suddenly became interested in the puzzle again and wanted to make a puzzle wreath too so I cut a  bunch of "puzzle pieces" from a cereal box (you can, of course, use any existing puzzle). 
Lily insisted that her wreath be in the shape of a heart so that took up quite a few pieces.


And we added a little ribbon (the ribbon is actually two ribbons, I stitched together to make it more substantial).

The old unloved wooden puzzle now looks like this.


Thand you to is post was featured at Life with the Lebedes, thank you!



Have a lovely week and be sure to check out the great projects at
Childmade
handmade projects




The DIY Show Off


6 comments:

  1. This is an adorable idea! What a great use for all of those puzzles with missing pieces that have been collecting dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually frame the puzzles when the kids are tired of playing with them but there are a couple of broken puzzles (i.e. missing pieces) around here which might be put to good use! Nice project KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh! That's cute! I always have puzzles with missing pieces. Now I can put them to good use.

    Miranda
    www.justdrinkacoke.blogspot.com

    PS I'm your newest follower. Come follow me, too, if you like my stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable and looks like so much fun! I can't wait to try this. Using a cereal box is genius, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of repurposing (or making pretend) puzzle pieces for other projects. I'm not much of a wreath person, but I think you could expand this in all kinds of ways. Now I'm excited thinking about ways to use puzzles with missing pieces :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the project and the title of your post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!