Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Crafting with my kids: Chinese New Year Lanterns (Project No. 2)

This is our second Chinese New Year Craft (you can see last week's project here).  The project is inspired by the Musings of Kim K (and was  featured on the Crafty Crow last year here).

My girls absolutely love lanterns so this was a perfect messy activity.  It involves gluing squares of red tissue paper to a jar. We used Modge Podge.

After the layer of tissue paper dried, the girls added gold tissue paper flowers (we used Martha's hydrangea punch).
Miss Lily insisted that her lantern include a Hello Kitty in Chinese costume.

The last step and the most important step was adding a tea light.  Someone is overjoyed.


This was a great project and very special addition to our table top. 
Happy crafting!
This post is linked to
Childmade


9 comments:

  1. I love these, KJ. The red and gold are so beautiful. The minute I saw the Hello Kitty I started smiling. She just looks so cute standing there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Love them, they look so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out. Your glass jars turned out fabulous. I shared my Chinese New Year inspired tree on my latest post. I'm looking forward to following your blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is great! will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hello kitty is my favorite part! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute lanterns! and pics of your little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, they are awesome. And the Hello Kitty really is a great touch with her costume and all. I bet Wednesday would love to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the addition of Hello Kitty. :-) This looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We made these for the tea party, and the little girls adored them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!