Saturday, January 15, 2011

Crafting With Kids: Chinese New Year Firecrackers from paper tubes

My sister sent me this very sweet little recycled craft she did with her 4 year old son (aka my nephew).

She will likely incorporate in her classroom. Kids love firecrackers (although these ones are pretend).

To make the firecrackers she combined two different tutorials found on Kaboose and Activity Village.  Basically, the children decorate paper tubes which have been covered with red construction paper.  Traditional colours such as red and gold have a great look.

If you are working on lesson plan, she recommends combining this craft with this book John Zucker's, "Lanterns and Firecrackers: A Chinese New Year Story."

image via here


I think the project turned out so well.  She found my nephew's vest at the Goodwill. That is where I usually  find most of my girls' Chinese (and other international) costumes as well.  They generally wash well, but I always recommend separately as the red and pinks tend to run.

I hope you are enjoying the weekend,
This post is linked to
Childmade

7 comments:

  1. Such a cutie! I'll have to file this idea away for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Es realmente precioso, gracias por la explicación. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will need to get cracking on my Chinese New Year decorations. Less than 2 weeks to go! Thanks for this great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family has the best fun ever! A lovely project since everything needed is already on hand and the result is quite amusing, isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute activity! I love all of your Chinese New Year projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found you and I am SO happy I did! I am a mom from San Diego with 2 little girls, ages 2 & 4 and I'm also a first grade teacher. You are so inspiring. I will visit often.
    Thank you for sooooo much for sharing!
    Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I'd love to feature it on my blog with a link back to your website and attribution, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!