Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cake Pops

I have been reading the Bakerella for a couple of years. I am a "hit or miss baker", but I absolutely love bakeries, baked goods, and bakers.  I actually fell in love with the Bakerella's blog because of the photos.  Back in '08, she provided some very useful photo tips here and I just kept reading.

Anyway, after Christmas, I was feeling a little sorry for myself - the girls had the flu for about a week myself a little less and I just needed some retail therapy (it happens). I bought the Cake Pops book.  I brought the book home and the girls enjoyed the photos so much that it found a place in the bed time story roster: sweet dreams of robot cake pops.  The book is dedicated exclusively to cake pops. Excellent photographs and well-written. Lots of practical tips.

I tried my first batch of cake pops (very simple, no robots) this past weekend. I have absolutely no experience in candy coating so this was a big step.  My husband's church was having a bake sale to offset the cost of summer camp so I thought this might be a nice bake sale item.  I used a French vanilla icing, chocolate candy coating, vanilla cake with pink food colouring.  The cake pops tasted amazing and didn't look too bad for a "hit or miss baker". My husband said it was the best thing I ever "baked."  The pops sold out quickly.

We haven't had a microwave oven for over a year now, so we used the double boiler method for the candy coating.  It worked very well.






I think I might make them again.

P.S. The Hello Kitty CNY Giveaway is here.

P.P.S. This post on Call Me Amaesing has some really good tips on making cake pops and a link to a couple of informative youtube videos.

10 comments:

  1. Yum. I need to try making these again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've been wanting to try these!!! They look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit, I'm intrigued. I also admit I'm intimidated. :) I'm going to let you keep on making the cake pops and posting pictures and sharing your tips and ideas. Eventually, maybe I'll get the courage to try making them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good, KJ. I can believe they all sold out. I'd have bought one! I love that your girls wanted to look at the pictures... that's adorable. Your photos look great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I haven't made cake pops, but I've made cake balls as a fundraiser before, and they're always very popular...who can resist a single bite of deliciousness??

    If you're looking for more baking inspiration, this is one of my favourite sites: http://www.bakersroyale.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not surprised they all sold out - to be honest I suspect people rushing soon to bang on your door craving for more...because you indulge and give yourself thoroughly in everything you do, so bearing this in mind they must have been fantastic!!
    Haven't done them and I am not showing my children this post because then.. oh boy ... I'll be in serious trouble...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake pops look out of this world delicious. I have a little taste-tester/helper that I bet would enjoy this dessert. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great. I would love to try them sometime. You are brave to attempt with little helpers the first time! Baking with my kids requires lots of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you made these - I have been wanting to make some cake pops for a while, but am not sure where to get little sticks (that aren't sharp) in my area, lol. I will have live vicariously through your post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to try to make cake pops. Yours turned out so pretty, I'm inspired to try soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!