Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sewing Projects Using Festive Fabrics

I wanted to share a few more projects that my friends and I have made using festive fabric.   [I posted about AJ's Christmas bake sale bunting here and lining a rice bag with festive fabric here].
This is my Christmas apron and is responsible for my addiction to festive fabric.  The fabric is Aunt Gracie Ties One On. (Pattern: Amy Butler's Domestic Goddess Half Apron)

I made this apron for Lily's teacher using Michael Miller's Little Flakes for the border, ties and waistband.  The apron is A Feathered Nest's quick and easy apron.

I added a little God Jul ribbon to the waistband to make a tea towel holder a la Amy.
I had only one yard of Hello Kitty Christmas fabric and two girls. I pieced it together with a green polka dot to make two Hello Kitty Christmas Tunics (I modified the Mani Mina pattern I posted about here). 

I am not crazy about how they turned out, but the girls love them.

My pal created some wedge place mats for her round table using pre-quilted festive fabric and a little bias tape.  The shape is based on these place mats.
Lots of tissue holders have been made for caregivers.  I used the J Casa Handmade tutorial which was recently featured over at Sew Mama Sew.
I modified the tutorial by adding a little piece of hardware to the tissue holders so that they clipped to a purse strap, your dog's collar, or whatever.
AJ has been on this band wagon as well (Skip to My Lou's tutorial)

So that's my festive fabric recap.  What are you doing with festive fabric? If you need more inspiration, Gwenny Penny has been using one festive fabric in five ways.  Here is the link to the most recent project.

I hope you are having a great week. Check out all the projects at
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!
make it wear it

6 comments:

  1. I love the aprons! I especially like the one you made for Lily's teacher... it has a Scandinavian feel to it. Your tissue holders are so bright and cheery. I love seeing them all in a big pile. The little clip is a great idea... I can never find my tissue in my bag quick enough when my girls need one.

    Oh, and thanks for mentioning my One Fabric, Five Ideas series:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aprons are wonderful. So happy and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that same large dot fabric you used in your tissue covers...and now thanks to your inspiration, I know what to do with it! Perfect little gift for my son's preschool teachers, and simple enough to get done in time for the Christmas party on Friday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The aprons are adorable KJ! Those are lovely gifts!
    As for the hello kitty dresses - that's good thinking - combining fabric to have enough for two dresses and I don't agree with you on their appearance - I think they are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you on Tater Tots and Jello! I am loving your blog, I saw it before, but now I am hooked! I would like to invite you to my $50 American Express giveaway and a linky party I have, all going on this week! Happy Holidays! Keep up the great blogging!
    -Dana Jean

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Designs! I haven't sewn or worn an apron since high school home ec classes. You've inspired me to sew on up.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!