Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sew Mama Sew Green Grocery Bag Challenge: Little Angel Rice Bag


First of all, thanks so much for the feedback on yesterday's guest post over at Gwenny Penny's Haul out the Holly Event.  It's a great event which is running until Friday.

I also wanted to spread the word that Sew Mama Sew is running a little challenge to create reusable bags to eliminate gift wrap waste.

This week, my pal celebrated a birthday.  She loves reusable totes (remember her amazing burlap rice bag tutorial).  To hold her gift (which was an industrial stitch ripper) I created a reusable tote bag using a 36 lb Little Angel Rice Bag (perfect for heavy gifts!).



These bags are 18 inches wide and I cut the height down to 19 inches.  The width of my finished bag is governed by the width of the rice sack as I want to take advantage of the sides. 

As far as construction, it is just a simple lined bag construction. I reinforced each seam and added some fray stop to all of the rice bag seams.  I leave a hole on the side of the lining and pull everything through. 

I used some coordinating Christmas fabric to line the bag and created straps which measured 21 inches long so that your shoulder can fit through the bag, including a shoulder that is wearing a warm puffy coat. Strap sizing is important - the sleeve of a puffy coat must fit through.
Lining the rice bag with some festive fabric adds a nice touch and you can't go wrong with "Little Angel."

If you have a large gift, you may want to consider turning the rice bag on its side to create a very large bag, Zakka Life provides an informative tutorial here.

Have a great day!

Update: this post is linked to Funky Junk Interior's SNS #64 Grain Sack link up, check out all the amazing projects

4 comments:

  1. I love my bag! It is so sturdy, versatile and stylish. Thanks KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to share this project on my FB page! Hey, don't you wish we could install share buttons on our blogspot blogs? I haven't figured out how to do that yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the peg people nativity. that was so nice! your bag is awesome! rice bags are so sturdy and with the recent findings of lead in those store bought reusable bags, this is a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tote! The lining makes it truly exceptional!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!