Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Last Year's Christmas Cards into Birdhouses and 3D Snowflakes

Ever since I saw Nicole Heady's Bird Box template I have had visions of recycling my old Christmas cards into little birdhouse ornaments. This year, our Christmas tree - which we will be picking up this weekend  and likely from a corner shop and not a farm - will be adorned with birdhouses, birds, butterflies and maybe an occasional toadstool. 

So, if you sent me a large Christmas card last year
I have turned it into one of these
which are totally loved by this little chick
{I apologize for the lighting and photo quality there is a "managing a day job" aspect to this blog, so that means until March I only have natural light on the weekends).  I used a couple of different Martha Stewart punches for the hole and the edging.

On other crafty matters, it was an amazing start to the Advent season.  A bunch of us got together over lunch and created three dimension snowflakes for our upcoming party.  If you need to decorate a large space, even a child's playroom if you are so lucky not to have one (not me sadly),  these snowflakes have great impact hanging from the ceiling.
you can find the tutorial here.

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out all the amazing projects at


5 comments:

  1. These are very cool, and I love your theme idea for decorating the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recycling idea to use up the old christmas cards. Some are too pretty to throw into the recycle bin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those birdhouses are stunning. I love the edges of the roofs. Just beautiful, KJ!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!