Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas Table Runner

I completed my first stitchery in 26 years and it was almost entirely completed on public transporation (yes, that was me on the street car).  I discovered Sandi over at Embroideroo (oh how I love that name for a blog) in the early spring and (immediately!) ordered her Kookaburra Christmas kit.  I am half Australian and wanted to have something Australian in our home for Christmas decorations.

I decided to incorporate the stitchery into a table runner, using Prudent Baby's bias tape table runner tutorial.
The colour choice is not traditional Christmas colours, all different shades of burgundy.
The fabric used for the side panels are two Japanese fat quarters from  from Kallisti Quilts' Japanese basics collection.   I made the bias tape from some fabric my friend brought back from France (it is "Arles" by Marinette in St. Tropez) and decor weight.

I liked Prudent Baby's use of incorporating a coffee sack into the runner so the reverse side of my table runner is also a coffee sack, flaws and all.  In my neighbourhood you can pick up sacks at the Red Rocket.


So that's my stitchery turned into a table runner.  I hope you are having a lovely weekend!

{UPDATE: This post is linked to Funky Junk Interior's Grain Sack Link Up, be sure to check out all the great projects using grain sacks.}


8 comments:

  1. I love your kookaburra embroidery! So sweet : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh KJ this is one gorgeous embroidery! Incorporating coffee sacks into the runner gives it a bit of an organic feel! The deep red (burgundy) fabric looks fabulous! Love your runner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh how i love embroidery! and this little kookaburra kit design is so sweet and makes a lovely table runner, KJ. and all on public transportation? there's some fine time-management!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very unique! Love the combination of textures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I'm thinking of taking up embroidery. I've done a little here and there, but I think I'd like to get more into it. Really nice work, and I love the coffee sack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very sweet! I love the design and the incorporated grain sack. :)

    Donna
    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!