Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Our Pumpkin Bird Feeder

I saw this idea on Martha Stewart Kids, and I think others have posted about it too.  It is a wonderful way to use up your pumpkin.  Lily had a 4 pound pumpkin that she picked from the patch.  She enjoyed painting it, but was now ready to offer it to the birds.

I varied Martha's technique slightly.  After cutting the pumpkin in half,

I drilled four holes at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and threaded the twine through.  I found this would be more secure.  Lily filled it with her offering.

I am certain a feathered friend will visit soon.

7 comments:

  1. I saw this on Martha too and fell in love immediately! The twine support seems strong enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! Our pumpkins have been sitting in the porch just waiting for an idea like this to come along! We are having some crazy warm weather, so this will be a good outdoor project for this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, so glad I didn't compost ours this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea to use up your halloween pumpkins - great recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. man that's cool! what a great upcycle of a jack-o-lantern (that's upcycling right? i don't even know what it means really but it sounds good).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea! I wonder if our carved pumpkins are still in good enough condition to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely idea. We carved our jack-o-lanterns on Saturday, and by Monday the deer had eaten the "teeth" right out of them and had started to nibble the lids off!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!