Friday, November 19, 2010

Nutcracker Matching Game

There are so many great matching game ideas in blogland (one of my favourite reads, Delicious Ambiguity provides a super round up here).

A matching game using plastic lids (I don't recall where I spotted the use of the lids, but if you know I will put in credit!) has been in my head for a long time.

We collect Nutcrackers. We have all sorts and sizes - even a  large one the size of a small child.  

Miss Lily has a knack for remembering each Nutcracker in our collection and its role in her version of the ballet {which only she knows the script} and around December 1st there is always a lot of panic in our house as concern for a certain lurking Mouse King grows and grows and grows.

I wanted to challenge her by creating a little matching game. This is what I came up with.

Photograph your Nutcracker collection. If you don't collect Nutcrackers, take your child to the shops and photograph the ones on display. I recall that Target has a great variety of novelty Nutcrackers that children find interesting.  I photographed ours against a white backdrop, like this. You will need to print out doubles.

Then I used my Martha Stewart circle cutter (3") to cut the scrapbook paper and the photographs to fit the lids (the scrapbook paper is June Bug Vintage plaid).

I used double-sided tape to stick the scrapbook paper and the photograph to the lid.
Mouse King where are you?

We still have at least 20 more nutcrackers to photograph, but I did not have enough plastic lids (now there's an excuse for more Pringles!). But this is sort of game you can add to year after year so long as you have enough scrapbook paper of the same variety.

If you don't have a thing for Nutcrackers, you could also make an ornament matching game. Either photograph your own ornament collection or take your little one to see the holiday displays and pick our a few unique ornaments to photograph - that would be very fun and could become more complex.

Have a great weekend and check out all the great projects at

9 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. It's very cute and also a great repurposing project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable, KJ. I think we always need an excuse for more pringles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are crazy about memory games (the Disney fairies being the current favourite) and love this idea of reusing lids to make one oneself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever (I think that is the same comment I am leaving on your blog every time, but I'm running out of ways to say it)! Love the close-ups of the funny little nutcracker faces - so cute, but with a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute....but what I think is crazy is that YOU are KJ too! :) Is this what you actually go by? I do!

    I'm stopping by for the first time from the link up at Tot Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! My daughter loves mermaids and there are mermaid statues all over our city (it's the city symbol). I've been thinking of photographing them for her, but didn't know what to do with the pics. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, KJ! And I love the plaid on the back. This is such an adorable idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute and such a great idea. Thanks for leaving a nice comment on my blog. I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!