Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gifts for Babies using Fat Quarters

Posting is a little light this week, but it's not because I don't have projects to report on. I am working on sew many things, it's just a lack of sunlight for good photos (a downside of daylight savings), and the critical "managing a day job and being a mom" aspect to this blog.

I have been working through a few new-to-me patterns.  I hope to have some good photos soon. In the interim, I thought I would share a few more baby related projects.  My pal and I recently went to the Creative Festival which is a wonderful place for sewing, knitting, and scrap booking enthusiasts. I discovered a wonderful somewhat local supplier of Japanese Fabric, Kallisti Quilts.   I bought too many fat quarters of Japanese fabric. I made these little baby shoes using a new-to-me pattern.
I made the mary janes out of a fat quarter of navy little Japanese girl fabric (basics one).  There is still leftover fabric.  The interior is linen. The pattern for the mary janes no. 80 by  I think sew.   All the interior seams are completely covered in linen.

The shoes pictured in the top right are cloth baby shoes  which is a free pattern offered via Michael Miller's blog and designed by Joanna Amour over at Stardust Shoes.  The interior seams are not covered. I used denim for the soles.

I have never sewn baby shoes so I enjoyed trying something new.

While we are talking baby gifts, I wanted to share this one with you as well. My pal tried out Noodlehead's Diaper Pouch  and it turned out wonderful.  The green fabric was a fat quarter from  Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane Collection {Green Dot in Olive} and coordinates wonderful with chambray.

From these projects, I learned that awesome fat quarters are perfect for sewing baby gifts.
This post is linked to
make it wear it

6 comments:

  1. They are each great, KJ. Well done on both the construction and fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mary janes!! I love them! Haven't done any for years!
    The fabric you chose is lovely and those babies are going to get a fantastic gift:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for cute prints and sweet projects for little people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those shoes are so cute KJ! i like the choice of linen as lining. looks soft. and that colour combo for the diaper pouch is sweet too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky you found a local supplier of Japanese fabric! I wish I could find a local store that carries it.

    The baby shoes are absolutely adorable. I also liked your letter ornaments in the post below. Anthropologie is always great for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that Japanese fabric, KJ! It's so cute! I love fat quarter projects. The linen lining looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!