Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Cowgirl Belt and the Royal Winter Fair

One of our November family traditions is to visit the Royal Winter Agricultural Fair.  It is the largest indoor equestrian and agricultural fair in the world.  We have been every year for the past five years.  This year my little one loved the baby chicks.
In addition to 4,500 animals, there is always a great presence of equestrian and cattle ranching gear exhibitors and I always leave inspired and wishing I jumped horses for a living.

This cowgirl belt project has been in my mind since last year's fair, but I only recently sourced the supplies. I really liked the technicals behind Mother Huddle's Tape Measure Belt so I found some cowboy twill tape at Scrapwithstyle's Etsy Shop and instead of a d-ring used some fun western-inspired hardware.  As in the tutorial, I stitched the twill tape to the cotton webbing.

Sadly, my girls do not wear jeans (pass me a tissue). But the belt looks really nice with corduroy (top photo) and denim skirts.

While we are talking ribbon, I wanted to show you the yellow grosgrain car ribbon I also found at Scrap With Style.  It's really cute and goes well with the Ikea car fabric. I made this car cozy for a 3 year old boy who loves cars.  The coordinating fabric is Michael Miller Tot Town (Street Stripe and its on sale right now in Canada at Tonic Living)

The car cozy tutorial is created by Sharla at My Little Gems. I have made it several times. This time I used fusible fleece and it gave the cozy a nice weight.  Fusible fleece is my new interfacing crush.

So that's the scoop, have a wonderful week and thanks so much for all the great feedback on the upcycled sari post. 

Y'all made my day,
Check out all the great projects at:
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. That belt is adorable! Love the western hardware, too. The fair sounds amazing... I may need to convince my husband that we need to make a trip up there some year. We attended an agricultural fair in Switzerland about seven years ago, and it was so neat to compare it to the fairs we attend around home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I can't decide what I like more the belt or the chicken hat. I think the hat wins, but the belt is fabulous too. Hooray for agriculture! I am always grateful for good food to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The belt is just aggdorable! My 16 yeat old just squelled that she needs one. So off I go to get the supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks folks. Chris - the hat is a knitwit. They are fleece-lined so my girls find them comfy to wear to the point they don't take them off. We have the unicorn, dog and chicken. Hopie picked the chicken out over our objections and we ultimately gave in and now I know why.

    http://www.thegreatcanadiangiftcompany.com/Knitwit-Delux-Animal-Pilot-Hats-Mittens_c_204.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!