Sunday, October 31, 2010

Whimsical Golden Acorns


I don't think you can improve on nature, but I love using natural materials in a whimsical way {i.e. pompom acorns}

I smiled when I saw this post on painted acorns at Modge Podge Rocks and I fell in love with these wooden gilded acorns at Design Sponge (who needs Tiffany?), so I decided to spray paint our acorn bottom stash gold.  We have collected so many acorn pieces, but have found very few in-tact acorns so the idea behind this project would be to glue the bottoms to any caps which might fit.  

I placed the acorn bottoms on straight pins stuck into foam and borrowed some gold spray paint from a my pal (thanks!). I sprayed them in a cardboard box to keep everything contained.  I didn't prime the acorns first, but applied 3 coats.

With an artist brush, I added some MiniWax stain to the acorn tops as they were starting to look a little, um, dried out at best - grotty at worse.
After the bottoms and caps were dry, I glued the mismatched pieces together with a dab of hot glue. 

The variety in the top photo are ones Lily collected in New Hampshire and they are my favourite. I think they would look really nice as a Thanksgiving place setting.  As you can see below, the variety we find in central Toronto variety are much longer.

Have a wonderful week and don't forget to check out all the great inspiration at these great spots
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend   wrap    up           party!
Photobucket
The DIY Show Off




10 comments:

  1. This is pretty cute! I could see doing this with different colors, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! What a clever idea - we have TONS of acorns in our yard (we could go acorn surfing except that it's a little dangerous! lol).

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity at the DIY Show Off. :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those acorns are lovely. Now I need to scoop up a bunch next time I visit my parents. They have lots of oak around their home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely project. And yes, I have a similar problem as far as composition is concerned. Out of 20 acorns only two are left intact. The others "shed" their caps.
    However, back to the subject - love what you did with the acorns and as decor I have no doubt they will be magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You knew I was going to love these!!! And I love that you used MinWax on the caps... great idea! I don't think I've ever seen the longer acorns like you have in Toronto. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your acorns look so effective, what a great idea. KJ thanks so much for your lovely comments, they are much appreciated.

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty! I would love to see them used on a Thanksgiving table! I hope you will link this up to my Get Organized Giveaway & Linky Party!

    http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2010/11/get-organized-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! I'd love for you to link this up to our holiday link up party! http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/11/crazy-christmas-crafter-link-up-w.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!! I am your newest follower from the crafty link up! I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
    Take a peek at my giveaways if you come by. Everything is handmade and gorgeous!


    WOW those are gorgeous! I love them:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!