Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October: Quilt for the Cure


I recently posted about how I was working on a challenging-for-me project. The project is finished. 

If you are about my "vintage" you are probably at an age where someone you know has been affected by breast cancer.  It really hit home for me last year, when one of my closest friends was diagnosed.  Our families had shared a house for a few years, oh so many dinners, Mr. KJ & I were there when their youngest was born, I have her serger on temporary loan (still gotta learn to use it), I couldn't believe it.  You can read about her journey to recovery here.  

Around the same time that I heard about her diagnosis, another good friend was wondering what to do with her run for the cure t-shirts.  She has been participating in the run for 13 years in the memory of her mother who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997.  She has collected numerous run t-shirts - some even include her race time.  She wanted to keep these shirts and I offered to make her a t-shirt quilt.  I really didn't know anything about t-shirt quilts - or quilting for that matter. 

She selected 9 shirts to feature and she picked Patty Young for Michael Miller's Andalucia in Petal for the main fabric and I added a pink ribbon fabric which was also used for the binding.  There is cotton batting and the backing of the quilt is minky. Yes, chocolate brown minky.  It's from fabric.com. Minky is, ummm, difficult to work with. I will leave it at that and 3 stitch rippers later.

Each shirt is cut into a 12 inch square and interfaced with a wonderful fusible facing which keeps the shirts soft.   I then went for a modern and wonky brick pattern.  The finished quilt is a 49 inch square.


In finishing this project, I really appreciated this post by Nikki over at In Stitches; the How to Finish a Quilt Guide over at Cluck Cluck Sew; and a recent Quilting Arts' article on modern piecing.

My friend is really pleased with the finished quilt and we all look forward to a time to when we no longer have to run for a cure,

Be sure to check out all the great projects and ideas at
handmade projectsJoin  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap    up           party! Whimsy Couture



10 comments:

  1. Great work KJ! The quilt is beautiful. I feel so relieved for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely memento quilt, KJ, it looks so soft and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic. I lost a dear friend to BC and her husband had her Relay t-shirts made into a quilt for their son. It is a priceless thing. Good job.
    Diane from survivordiane.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job KJ!! I really like the layout and fabrics you chose. What a great keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspirational project, KJ! Love the fabrics and the pattern, too. As soon as I read that the back is minky, I sighed out loud. I bet this quilt is so super snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt looks wonderful! I bet your friend just loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the very lucky friend who received this very special quilt. KW has created a masterpiece which should be hung but, KW has assured me that I can use it as a cozy quilt and it will keep, especially because minky was used to make it really cozy. KW, you have outdone yourself, keep the creative juices flowing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt, and it's clearly gone down really well.

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!