Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Knitted Gnome Hat

Thank you for all the kind comments and thanksgiving wishes.  We returned last evening.  We had a wonderful time in New Hampshire celebrating my cousin's wedding and reuniting with family from Canada and the United States.   We spent Sunday and Monday on Hampton Beach in New Hampshire. The weather was spectacular. I love visiting beach communities off-season.

This weekend  was also a chance for my sisters and I to catch up and share projects - we live in three different cities.

I thought I would share this project, my middle sister, the knitter, gave as a gift to the kids this weekend. If you have the skill set, it would make a wonderful Christmas gift for a little boy or a little girl.     

My sister recently celebrated a birthday so I shipped her a copy of the Purl Bee's new book, More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (no ulterior motive of course!).  She made two gorgeous gnome hats and is finishing a third. Each hat takes about an hour.  Miss Lily would not take this hat off the entire weekend.  The wool is part cashmere and is very comfy.

My nephew in the chicken coop
Hampton Beach, New Hampshire (in October!)
and the hat creates the most wonderful shadows

Update: By total and complete coincidence, after I had written this post and I was just catching up on  my reader, I saw that Michelle at WeeFolks has offered a pattern on her blog for a gorgeous pixie hat.  You will see how the type of yarn you use can give the project an entirely different look.

[If you are sewer, you can still make a gnome hat.  Amy Karol has a pattern in her book, Bend-the-Rules Sewing, I posted about it here.]

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous hat! And the colour is wonderful!
    I was just looking for a hat (knitting) pattern and this post is just the right thing I needed (thanks for the links)!
    I can only image the great time you had with you family and bet you had lots to catch up with your sisters!
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the hats are so cute, KJ. i want one for myself! Okay, for my little one too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! I'm a very new knitter (*love*) and both the kids have asked me to please make them hats. They will love these!!

    And so glad you had a great weekend! How fun to catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make this hat! I love yours. A friend of mine made one and said it was a quick knit. I hope to do at least one this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I love that hat and the photos on the beach are absolutely lovely. I do wish I could knit - it's definitely on the list, but the list is so long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the hats turned out great & love the shadow on the sandy beach !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!