Thursday, October 28, 2010

Crayons: Pumpkin & Leaves


Posting is a little light this week.   I am working on some larger projects - trying to bust through the stash during the wee hours - and I hope to have something to report {which is more than a seam} soon.  I don't know about you, but I always feel so sluggish at the end of the October. I can barely get up in the morning and it's not just because I-have-two-kids-who-have-difficulty-sleeping-independently.  It's so dark in the morning.

Before I sign off, I want to share this project. My pal was inspired by Homemade by Jill's DIY Crayons using candy molds and she made some little pumpkin and leaf crayons for her little guy to take to school (cut all that sugar with a little wax).  She was able to find pumpkin and leaf candy molds at a baking supply store.
She picked up a dollar store pot, but recommends getting one that has a pour tip to lessen the mess. One of the other problems with this project is that it is very smelly. If anyone knows how to lessen the smell, we would love to know!  Is moving the production outside the only option?

In addition to the stove top candy mold technique, there are so many different ideas out there for making crayons.  Here are some I have bookmarked over the past year or so.  {If you want to add any, let me know in the comments!}

(Tin Can double boiler) Make Rainbow Crayons by Say Yes to Hoboken using film canisters or empty pill bottles
(Oven) Crayon cakes at Two Chicks and a Hen Vanilla scented in a shallow muffin tin
(Oven) race car crayons using a pretzel mold at MommyTeacher123
(Double boiler) race car crayons and candy mold at Zakka Life
(Oven) Numeric birthday crayons with a silicone mold over at Treasure for Tots
(Oven) Dinosaur Crayons using a silicone mold at Treasure for Tots
(Oven) Crayon cars using a car cake tin pan and heart crayons using a silicone at Craft Apple

Have a wonderful weekend,

5 comments:

  1. These are very cute! I almost want to eat them :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to make these at favours for an upcoming hallowe'en party but I don't think I have time to squeeze them in this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I have a big box of nubs ready to melt down and I never thought of the candy molds! We have some cool pirate ones that the kids would love!! And you were right when you said it might be the change in light that makes me want to blog less. Everything does seem more "chore-ish", and I just want to hibernate!! I'm sure it will pass soon, I'll be able to embrace the coziness that the extra hours of darkness bring, and can start getting pumped for Christmas!! Hope the same is true for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the links, KJ. I've been planning to try making some crayons. Whenever we eat at a restaurant that gives out crayons I've been packing them up when we leave and taking them home. Once I have enough, I'm going to have to figure out which of these methods to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!