Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wooden Marker Holder

My sister (AJ) was getting her classroom ready and mentioned she was creating a wooden marker holder for her drawing station. I had never heard of this sort of holder (our markers are currently in an enormous reused feta cheese tub) so I asked her to photograph the steps to share with you.

Once you complete the holder, you can hotglue the actual caps into the holder so they don't go missing.


All finished!


I think this could be a very useful project for an art station.  While I was poking around at a new-to-me blog, One Inch World, I found a very informative post on refreshing these sorts of dried out markers.  I haven't tried it yet, but you can check out the tutorial here.

Have a lovely day! This post is linked to

Organize and Decorate Everything


7 comments:

  1. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I love the idea of gluing the tops in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize I needed one of these until I saw this, but I do. My two year old is crazy with the markers and lids. I don't have this paddle bit though--I wonder if I could come up with an entirely different way. Quick-dry clay, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime, I think you could use some sort of clay, that might work and maybe you could put some felt discs on the bottom so it sits nicely on the table. PS These sort of drill bits often come in starter sets, you might be able to borrow one from a neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Patty, great idea about gluing the tops in. I think we might need to try something like this at our house. I'm constantly throwing away markers because of missing caps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, to cute need to make some for gifts.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be so great for an art station. Great job!Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son made something very similar for 4-H. It was two tiered and he drilled holes for crayons, markers, and colored pencils. I am going to have him make more with a square hole for scissors too! I like the idea of gluing the caps in as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!