Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sailing on the Lake Blouse

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered the Sewing Princess  (what a great name for a blog and many thanks to Craft Gossip. for pointing me in her direction). I could not get the Princess' Sailing on the Lake blouse out of my head.  I kept thinking about the blouse, it just nagged at me.  It was sort of surprising, because my wardrobe is generally more tailored. I wear suits, blazers, skirts and cardis, yeah it's a little on the boring conservative side.  I made the blouse.

I found the chiffon - which is a sort of Pucci meets Mrs. Roper - in the Toronto fashion district for less than $2/metre and yes, I love it although it was a little slippery to sew.
 
Intermission
Stanley Roper: What's the cake for?
Helen Roper: We're celebrating.
Stanley Roper: Celebrating what?
Helen Roper: The tenth anniversary of my spring outfit.

I used one of the Sewing Princess' variations and omitted the elastic waistband for a roomier feel.

Disclaimer: these photos were taken after the day job, with a tripod, and a two year old (who also makes me smile), but you should get the idea.
For less than $4, and a whole lot less than I would pay for that bellini on the lido deck, I love it.

As always, thanks for stopping by and have a marvellous day! (you can see a couple of meandering stitches in the photo above).

Chrissy: Eat your salad before it gets cold.
This post is part of my September sewing challenge


and linked to these three great parties:make it wear it

12 comments:

  1. WoW! It turned out great!! I love the fabric you used - it's fabulous!
    I have a similar tutorial for a tunic on my side bar with lots less math involved ;)- and I was just thinking of redoing it with more beautiful fabric. After seeing yours I will certainly do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Look at you sewing clothes for yourself. I feel like it has been a decade since I've done that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it turned out. Your fabric is beautiful!
    Sewing Princess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I bet it feels nice to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the Helen and Stanley Roper interlude! So funny. Great work on the top! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy fabric. Great colors!


    ~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fabric is beautiful. It turned out great. Thanks for sharing. And thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Hope to see you again. Karie @ kariechiccreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone channeling Three's Company is great in my book!:) That fabric is fantastic and the top looks great on you! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blouse, you look radiant KJ. And I can hear Mrs. Roper's deadpans as if those Three's Company reruns were on just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! You did a fabulous job. It would be cute as a dress too if you added length.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous blouse, and equally gorgeous photo! Nice job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so pretty! I LOVE the fabric - the gold and black is really sharp! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!