Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pom-pom Acorns

Do you ever go through your child's pockets and find interesting items?  The other day, I found three acorn caps in Miss Lily's coat pocket.  I inquired.  She tried to explain where she had seen an acorn tree and that started a discussion about oak trees and then an acorn hunt. 

We found an acorn tree (or trees).
Perfect, intact acorns are sometimes difficult to find, so it's nice to use the caps in crafts.  I really like all those felted wool acorn ornaments out there (or these), but I don't think we are ready to felt our own wool balls, so we used little craft pompoms.
I recently acquired a huge stash of craft pom-poms (not all shown, thanks Value Village!) with the intention of making this pompom tutu.  So we had ample small pom-poms to make little acorns. 
Still not sure how we are going to display them, but I love the whimsy!

By the way, if you like acorns, here are some nice links

 Gwenny Penny's sweet acorn printables, here
Martha's little mirror with a zillion caps, here.
Feeling Stitchy's fabric acorn ornaments here
A great and gorgeous scrapbuster project incorporating fabric and the acorn caps at Sara of Zemphira

What are you favourite acorn ideas?

This post is linked to
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up           party!




8 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh what a coincidence! I am making something with acorns too!

    What a fabulous idea! The assortment of colors is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. Of course we've all seen the wool felted ones, but not everyone has wool roving. This is a great alternative. I'll be linking on Facebook tomorrow morning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind notes and thanks for linking Kimara! PS I still have lots of caps to use on some gnomes and fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute, KJ! So much easier than felting wool. And thanks so much for mentioning my printables!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great. Roving wool has not yet made it into my craft stash, so I love this idea. So will Wednesday I am sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love making these too!! So much easier than "Felting" Acorns ; )

    Here's a link to ours: http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/2009/11/rainbow-leaves-and-pom-pom-acorns.html

    Fondly,
    pink and green mama

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!