Friday, September 17, 2010

Monarch Migration in Felt

 

I've posted before about my girls and their butterfly attraction. I hope it will never end.  "Butterfly" was one of Evangeline Hope's first words (thanks to big sis).

Just down the street, our friends have a sunny patch and planted a lovely butterfly bush that has been attracting the monarchs like crazy during this migration.   We always stop to take a peak at the current monarch situation.    Miss Lily keeps a running count of the number of monarchs she has spotted each season and we have an expression - "good eye" - for who spots one first.   This little guy dropped by on Sunday. 



I wanted to make a finger puppet to continue the magic once the migration ends. So I was excited to discover this tutorial over at Aesthetic Outburst.  Rather than French knots, I opted to use Abbey's easy white puffy paint alternative - since I already had some of this stuff left over from the felt cinnamon buns project!

 


Enjoy the migration and have a lovely weekend.  Be sure to check out all the projects at


Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up          party!


11 comments:

  1. These are so sweet, KJ. Your cuts in the black layer look perfect! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents have a large hill that is absolutely covered in monarch's every fall...truly a sight to behold!

    Your felt version is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butterflies! We've had 2 fly in and visit us this summer :) beautiful ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sweet comment :) I am totally making these finger puppets with my kids - so creative - and we'll do the puffy paint too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely little craft! i love when butterflies drop by my garden too! it makes me feel special like i'm "the chosen one" or something. ya, i know, i'm a little crazy in the head like that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was raised in "Butterfly Town USA" named for the Monarchs who migrate there from October to March. Points if you know where that is without googling it. Thanks for the fun reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are on the migration path too, and October is just fabulous with butterflies. We love them too! You did such a cute job on that finger puppet. Really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great take on butterflies !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!