Friday, September 3, 2010

Judy and Labor Day

It has been a busy week day-job wise which means September has come and a new grind. Each September, I think of Judy Blume. It's just a ritual.  As a teenager, Judy and I exchanged letters.  I always think about Judy Blume around Labor Day.   Labor Day always seemed to be an important day in her stories.  Maybe you recall this passage.

 
Intermission
 
We moved on the Tuesday before Labor Day. I knew what the weather was like the second I got up. I knew because I caught my mother sniffing under her arms. She always does that when it's hot and humid, to make sure her deodorant's working. I don't use deodorant yet. I don't think people start to smell bad until they're at least twelve. So I've still got a few months to go.
Are you there God? It's me Margaret, Chapter 1
 

Before I sign off for the weekend, I wanted to share Miss Lily's  first "melt beads" project. 

 
When we were in Norway, the most popular children's craft were Hama melt beads.  Hama is a Danish  (I think!) company and a wide range of Hama products are available in Scandanavia craft shops.

 
Miss Lily chose this butterfly project (maxi beads, larger size for 3+ years).  She completed this project herself.
Which under heat melted into this
If you are looking for a gift for a child, I highly recommend these melt beads kits.  Apparently, there are similar type kits at Michaels and Amazon may even have a couple of kits.  Here are a couple of cute kits from the Hama site:

 

 
While I have never really been one to purchase what I call the "prepared craft kit" because our projects are generally based on what we have on hand, I was surprised by how well Lily focused on completing this project and her resulting pride in the finished piece.  Except for the final ironing step, she did everything "all by my own."

Also, thanks for the positive feedback regarding yesterday's post. It is a little scary putting yourself out there.   Wishing you a happy Labor Day weekend! 

 
P.S. If you enjoy kids+embroidery, there is a lovely post and flickr group on the Sew, Mama, Sew blog.  It makes me happy.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hama beads have always gone down really well in our house and although we've not had them out for a while, my 7 and 10 year old have been known to have the odd go still. That goes for me too!!

    By the way, your top is fab, you look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!