Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stainglass Candles


I try to keep a list of projects that might interest my kids.  We do most of our projects on the weekend, so the list helps me plan supplies.  Confession: sometimes the crafty projects I pick interest me more than them, but this one was a win-win.

This project has been on my to-do list for awhile.  I bookmarked the ever-inspiring Artsyville post awhile back and this post on Whatever and featured on Craftgossip reminded me that I need to do this with my kids soon, preferably outdoors.


As for sources, these sorts of candles are available all through Toronto, but are often printed with icons.  I found the clear ones at the dollar shoppe for $1.25 each.  The tissue paper was all reused from my stash.  We used regular modge podge, but the sparkly type might be nice as well! 

This project worked out well for both girls (age 2 and 5).  It was so nice to have a project that both girls could enjoy together at the same time.  The only thing I did was cut the tissue paper up into rectangles of variety of colours - they took over the rest.

You could also use regular jars instead of candles.  When Lily was 2 she made a little votive holder out of a baby food jar using a similar technique.
This post is linked to Tots for Tuesdays (check out the great ideas)

Thanks for stopping by and have a lovely day,

2 comments:

  1. What a great project and lovely final creations if I may say! To tell you the truth it is often the case I am the one most interest in a crafty project, but I don't let go. I urge my kids to take part - it's the most beautiful and easy way to sprout their creativity and develop their imagination! You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your candles turned out so well! the colours alone would interest my little guy, I think! beauties!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!