Monday, August 9, 2010

Robot Tunics

Thanks for all your sweet comments on yesterday's post.  We had a wonderful family day with our girl and  Mr. KJ took her to see the new Ramona movie!

For Miss Lily's actual birthday celebration, we did something different this year.  We volunteered to put on a small robot-themed celebration at her daycare (musical performance, craft, snack, etc.).    Lily has a mid-summer birthday and having just returned from Norway ourselves, this was absolutely the easiest way to coordinate an event given that so many flee the city on weekends.

I will post about the event throughout the week, but first up is the gown.  Initially, it was my intention to resize this vintage 1969 pattern (Value Village score); however, it was not that easy - little time and limited room for error.


Several weeks later, I discovered Whimsy Couture's  Reversible Criss Cross Tunic.  It is even nicer than the Simplicity pattern.  If you haven't checked out Whimsy Couture you must. There are some great patterns at very reasonable prices.

Lily looked at the robot fabric on fabric.com during their early July sale and ultimately chose David Walker for Free Spirit Robot in Ivory (which is no longer available through that supplier, but probably can be located on Etsy).  I used a small yellow polka dot for the reverse coordinating print.


Above is the tunic's back and below is the fashion shoot (robot dance).


I really love the way the tunic turned out.  The pattern is well-written and the finished garment looks very professional  - as all the seams are hidden.

Before I sign off, I thought I would share the robot tunics my dad made for my sister and I (circa 1979).  Cardboard and foil.  Not pictured: spray painted surgical gloves.
 
Robots never go out of fashion.

For more robot ideas, you can read about the robot garland here and the robot zipper pull here and the attenae hairband here.

This post is linked to
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up        party!

make it wear it
Show and Tell Green








Photobucket







something I just whipped up and
Making


Making
check out all the great projects!

14 comments:

  1. The tunic is great but seriously, those robot costumes are awesome! I love how you have robot skirts! I do like the tunic design though, I'll have to check out that etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable and I am in LOVE with that fabric!!!

    http://valgalonline.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute. I love the fabric you chose and the fashion shoot looks like it was hilarious. And cool '79 photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tunic! What a great idea for the birthday party. Thanks so much for sharing on Skip To My Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute tunic...I especially LOVE the fabric. David Walker comes up with some fun prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for posting the tunic from my pattern! I am flattered! I really like the robot fabric!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabric is so cute and Miss Lily looks great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tunic, and I love your shirring tutorial also! I might be brave enough to try it now. :) I am visiting from Sew Cute Tuesday, and I am now following you too!

    misty-littlemonkeys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how the tunic turned out....and the fabric is adorable! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooo cute! Wish I had girls...LOL! So fun to sew for!
    Found you at Sew Much Ado...would love for you to check me out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love making these tunics for my girls! The robot fabric is fantastic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cute!! I'm your newest follower... come by and visit me at Sassy Sites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got this pattern (thanks to my mom saving hers), just need my daughter to grow into it. Love that fabric! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up last week, I featured it today, I hope you stop by to link up your latest today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!