Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Angelina Ballerina Capelet


I have a thing for capes. I have always felt that the sort of lady who wears a cape has an immediate presence, the sort that you can't help, but notice (think Reva Shane, black cape, Guiding Light c. 1985).   

I have been hunting for a capelet pattern for the past 6 months.  I left Fabricland frustrated on three different occasions after discovering McCalls and Simplicity versions were either discontinued or out of stock.  I let out a giddy yelp when I saw that Prudent Baby blogged about their capelet pattern.  I made this one with licensed fabric (Angelina Ballerina) on one side and a solid violet on the other side (with a little ric-rac embellishment).  I actually made the capelet slightly larger than the original pattern  (11.5 " radius for the main semi-circle and 3" radius for the inner semi-circle). 




This pattern would also be appropriate for heavier fabrics, like corduroy or light wool. I plan on making a wool version for the girls and maybe myself as soon I figure out the proper scale.

I mentioned earlier this week about my goal to create a few interesting outfits for the girls' dolls. From the leftover scrap, I stitched up a miniature capelet for their Jane Banks doll (Mary Poppins series). 


Perfect for flying a kite.

Update:  Sew Mama Sew has named the Prudent Baby Capelet pattern as one of the top girls clothing tutorials. You can read the full round up here.


This post is linked to these great craft parties

Show and Tell Greenmake it wear itJoin  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up         party!

9 comments:

  1. I love it! I am also keen on capelets and have seen some great patterns on the internet but haven't set my mind on making one!
    Yours is gorgeous! The combination is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... following your comment from Prudent baby. I love your version, and I know my daughter would positively *swoon* for this. Feeling even more encouraged to give this a try, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful capelet - looks sweet on your girls. Like the doll version too.

    Seeing your link at the Train to Crazy made me smile. I just made a capelet today for my daughter (I will probably post it next week). I lined mine even thought the pattern wasn't lined so it could be reversible except I did buttons why didn't I think of a tie like you did?

    Drat!! I guess I will have to make another one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet idea! Your girls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. first off, double-sided clothing just makes sense. and the capelet is beautiful. second, your little ones are so sweet. that serious one is keeping me in line, that's for sure. thirdly, thanks so much for visiting my blog the other day. we are fellow Ontarians and it's nice to know there are other crazy crafty bloggers out there from my neck of the woods!

    p.s. i'm 2 clicks away from being your next follower! i'll just make myself at home... where's the fridge?...

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, your Reva Shane analogy is spot on. :) Second, your cape is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How adorable!I love it! The Angelina fabric is such a cute choice. How much fabric did you need for each layer? I read the tutorial but I don't think it said how much fabric was needed.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. @crochetlynne,
    thanks for your kind comment - I made the capelet a little larger than the original template, because I wanted it to fit both my girls (then 5 & 2), I think it was about a half metre of each fabric , but if you are able to place your pattern carefully you may be able to get away with less.
    By coincidence, if you like Angelina Ballerina, - I will be posting about another project next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!