Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thread Holder

 
{This project is linked to Funky Junk's SNS #83 all about frames}
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



Following up on yesterday's post on ribbon storage, here is some more Indian goodness from N pal.  Twenty-five spools of Coats thread (instead of 25 birthday candles:).



  came in this little box. 
perfect timing for a photo shoot of my thread holder.

I saw this tutorial by Sugar Bee and had to make it.

Unlike the originat tutorial which uses a metal frame, I found another wooden frame at my shop by the side of the road. It was actually a portrait chalk drawing done by Armando Studios in Miami which ended up on a shady street in Leslieville, Toronto.  Everything and everyone  has a story.  I wonder what this lady's story was.


I dismantled the frame and had a piece of lightweight peg board cut at Home Depot.  (Sidebar: In case you are wondering, I get alot of my supplies at Home Depot simply because I can walk there - not because I have any affilitation. There is one of those "urban boutique" Home Depots located in my neighbourhood.  They carry about less than 50% inventory of a regular Home Depot, but they generally have what I need.  Many of the staff know me and my kids by name, so it has a local feel to it). 


Now, back to the project: I primed and spray-painted the frame blue and the peg board was primed and spray-painted antique white.   I also deviated from the original tute because I used thick bamboo skewers for the holes because I was unable to find any dowel to fit.

I absolutely love the finished project!

 

Oh, and before I forget here is a little more Indian goodness (new tunic from India!)



Thanks for checking in! Be sure to check out all the great ideas at





Organize and Decorate Everything




11 comments:

  1. What a conversion! I really should try this!!
    Amy @ www.thecheapandchoosy.blogspot.com
    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job! I love that frame you used - Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need one of those! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great idea! It keeps all your spools tidy, and you can easily pick out the one you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out wonderful. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday till this Friday. I would love for you to join the party at http://organizeyourstuffnow.com. There's a giveaway too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!! Love it!!

    I love for you to stop by and link up to Socialize with me Monday til Sunday. Going on now! :)

    http://simpsonizedcraftsandthensome.blogspot.com/2010/07/socialize-with-me-monday-til-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this idea!!! i may have to saunter into my local hardware store and get acquainted with the natives... :) btw - thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my God I totally love this! Will have to make one for myself asap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so great. I love the color. Thanks for joining We're Organized Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent idea! So simple and clever and appealing. Gotta do this and soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!