Monday, July 12, 2010

Handmade and Useful Baby Gifts

I hope you have had a wonderful weekend.  The weather was gorgeous here. We spent most of the weekend outdoors and we were able to catch up with family outside the city.  It was the sort of weekend that I hope my girls remember when they think of summer.

For some time now, I have wanted to a post a mini-round up of handmade baby gifts that my pal N and I have sewn over the past few months using tutorials we have found around the blogosphere.

First up is Crap I've Made's $44 Hooded Towel Tutorial (sewn by KJ).

This project requires one bath sheet, one hand towel, and a coordinating fabric.  Note, the thicker the terry, the more needles you will break. I think I broke four needles on this one - but that doesn't matter because photos like these are the reason I sew.  This project was for my BFF's fourth baby!

Next up: a couple of change pads sewn by N. 

This one is from a book (you may have heard of it :) One Yard Wonder's Latte Changing Pad.  This project turned out beautifully.  I love her choice of Michael Miller fabric.


The next change pad is slightly different as it is in all one piece. The tutorial is Cluck Cluck Sew's Baby Changing Kit Tutorial (again, sewn by N).

Inside, N included a little message on sewing tape!

Now, two more towels that I finished. 

This hooded towel is a slight variation on Purl Bee's Hooded Towel and Lotta Jansdotter's Sewing for Baby.  Both patterns call for applying the binding right to the towel and sewing through all three layers. I found that everything did not stay together very well even when pinned. The next time I attempt this project, I will apply the bias tape differently (the old fashioned way) or maybe a zig zag as recommended by a recent Sew 4 Home hooded towel tutorial.
Last up is Prudent Baby's Hooded Towel.  As far as construction goes, this hooded towel is, by far, the easiest of the lot (no bias tape).  The most difficult part is attaching the hood to the bath towel.  I chose a plush towel.  Broken needles: 3.


Anyway, seven broken needles later and that's the round up. 

Do you have any standby handmade gifts for new moms?  The sort of gift that comes out perfectly everytime, can be personalized and is useful?

Please share! 

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week! Be sure to check out all of t the sewing projects at

SYS Thurs
Photobucket





Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. THank you those are GREAT ideas! I needed to see that bath towel tutorial! -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love N's choice of fabrics as well. And of course, Baby C and I love the hooded towel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are such a frugal find. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!