Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dollar Store Hooded Towel

My pal alerted me to the fact that you can purchase lightweight beach towels at the dollar store (who knew?) and you can turn them into hooded towels.

I found my towels at Zellers [which is technically not a dollar shop, but carries much of the same stuff] for $2.98 a piece. The towels measure 22 inch by 45 inch.   The pal found hers (blue) at Dollarama for $2 each.

It's summer time and I have to send a towel everyday with each kid. I only have time to do laundry on the weekend and I am not going to insist my kid uses the same towel two days in a row so a few of these towels solved the shortage problem.

While these towels would not appear on your wedding registry for that spa retreat bathroom, they are perfect for the daycamp backpack. They are lightweight and don't take up the entire pack.

I made two hooded towels with three towels.  One towel (the middle one above) is used for the hoods.  I cut two rectangles 10 inch by 22 inch.  If you make your rectangle hood cuts on either side of the towel (you will end up with excess in the middle that you could use for another project), you can incorporate the finished edges in your project and you won't have any hem sewing.  Easy peasy.

Here are the kids in their Coleman Puddlejumpers.  I absolutely love these devices.   They were recommended to me by a neighbour and I am so glad I purchased them. Sadly, neither of my kids love the water (boggles my mind), but the Puddlejumper has instilled some water confidence.  Miss Lily was "swimming" independently this weekend.  She was so proud of herself!


By the way, I have washed my towels and they have held up fine. 
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
Be sure to check out all the projects at
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!

Photobucket

And all the projects for tots at

6 comments:

  1. Miss Lily looks great wearing her new hooded towel. And wow, swimming all by herself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hooded towels turned out adorable! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are super cute! I love hooded towels for little ones and these are perfect for wet summer days! Thanks so much for sharing! Fantastic job! Hope you have a wonderful weekend ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I really should make some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love the one you made for A - so nice and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!