Monday, June 28, 2010

Sew Mama Sew : Make It, Wear It Challenge


I rarely sew clothes from scratch for myself.  I make aprons, bags, engage in repurposing projects and sew clothes for the kids, but rarely make something for myself.   In fact, I think the last "for me" project was this matron of honour dress for my BFF's wedding in the fall of 2000 (Butterick 6396 View C).

The passing of a decade, another insignificant birthday, and Sew Mama Sew's "Make It, Wear It June sewing challenge" was the impetus to sew something for myself.  [You can check out all the Make It, Wear It projects here.  I believe the pool closes June 30th.]

For my project, I used Amy Butler's Mini Dress, Tunic, and Top pattern and about 2 yards of  Amy's Love/Paradise Garden collection. 

This is the second Amy Butler pattern I have "tested" [I posted about the Domestic Goddess half apron here - and a pal tried it out here].   I find her patterns well-written and easy to follow. Her instructions also include a number of techiques which make your project take on a really finished look (the top shown has an invisible zipper, pleats, and yoke facing).  I made my top in size "medium". It is a little more flared than I would like and next time I would take in the sides about a 3/4 inch.

I had fun with this project.  I hope it's not another decade.


This project is linked to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do and Sew Cute Tuesday
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!
Photobucket

Show and Tell Green





- check out all the great projects!!

15 comments:

  1. I love it. The fabric is scrumptious and the pattern is great too! Your MOH dress was wonderful as well, you should definitely not wait another decade to sew more for yourself! (I know it s weird, but it is so much fun once you start!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Well done. I love that you posed beside a tree again...10 years apart! Cute!
    You know I loved your MOH dress too....I remember when you asked me what I thought of you doing it in chocolate brown satin - just another reason you're my BFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone who professes to be in a sewing slump, you sure are busy! The tunic looks great. Can't wait to see what you do with the Birds of Norway fabric . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks fabulous! That red fabric is very inspiring too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous seems the most appropriate word for that top!I love the design and the fabric is a true candy! You should make more clothes for you! You have great sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really pretty! I have been looking for tunic patterns that will fit my growing belly, this one looks like it might! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this- it turned out great! maybe I'll pick up a pattern and sew something for myself sometime- you'll be my inspiration. :)
    we have a friday linky party- we'd love it if you'd link to this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sew pretty! Please join me at Dragonfly Designs for the latest linky! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! Great work! I have a weekly blog party for people to share the things they've make to be worn. It's called Make It Wear It (though it's been around a lot longer than the Sew Mama Sew challenge!) Stop by and see what everyone is making!
    Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! I haven't made any clothes myself since Home Ec. By the way, you rocked that matron of honor dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I adore this project. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job on this. Can't go wrong with Amy Butler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! I think a tank top would be the perfect project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks fun!

    cant go wrong with amy b's fabric on anything, i think...

    rose
    fine craft guild

    today's post:
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/bikini-free-knitting-pattern/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!