Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Jellicle Cats

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--
all of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names......



Miss Lily entered a colouring contest and secured us 7th row tickets to Cats.  Next she'll be opening an Etsy shop.

We had a marvelous time.  She dressed up for the show.   I made the cats ears by gluing some of that fun fur boa stuff to a head band and two white felt ears.  I used this face painting tutorial (the paints are Snazaroo).  I used the leftover boa for a tail.
To get ready for the show, we read through the poems in Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats and I  borrowed a VHS version of London's West End (1981) production from a pal (production with Ellen Paige).   

I saw Cats in the mid-1980s with my grandfather.  Over 20 years later, the magic was still there.  The musical has that 80ish over-the-top Michael Jackson Thrillish choreography which seems a little out of place in these times of restraint, but I loved it all the same.

It was a wonderful and very special day.

And we all say: OH!

Well I never!
Was there ever
A Cat so clever
As Magical Mr. Mistoffelees!

and all this from a dog person. 

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!