Thursday, June 10, 2010

Challah French Toast

French Toast is my favourite brunch dish.  I would take French toast over pancakes anyday.  I especially love French toast made with Challah Bread and so do our girls.  This is what we made for Sunday brunch (the first week of Ontario strawberries).




If Challah bread isn't easy to find in your parts, Katy Elliot (one of my favourite lifestyle bloggers) recently posted on baking your own Challah Bread (a lovely post!). 
I use the basic French toast recipe (4 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp. cinnamon, pinch of salt) from the Whining & Dining book (p. 49) [blog here , but the authors have not updated it in a long while] and soak the sliced bread overnight in the fridge.  The next morning, each slice needs to be fried on the griddle two minutes per side (you want to ensure the egg "sauce" has cooked).

Definitely no leftovers.  Tastes great with maple syrup and seasonal berries.

Yesterday, there was an event at my office tower.  We were given little takeout boxes with French toast on a skewer.  I had never thought of putting French toast on a skewer, but I think it is an excellent idea.  Here is a photo of what it looked like.  The French toast was thin with a chocolate filling.  Yum.


I can't believe I am only now realizing all the possibilities for skewers - must have been in a cave or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!