Friday, May 7, 2010

Making a Nurse Nancy Medical Kit (Updated)

Miss Lily has show and share today.  She is supposed to bring something related to "what I want to be when I grow up."

We were both inspired by this book.




It is a vintage Golden Book from Sydney, Australia and belonged to my mum when she was a girl.   So Miss Lily is the third generation to enjoy it.

We decided to recreate the outfit for show and share.

I found this Dora the Explorer tin box lunch box at Value Village for 99 cents.


I spray painted it white and added a red cross.

Inside the tin box, I stitched some elastic to black felt to hold the various medical tools and then hot glued the felt to the inside of the box.




Dr. Lily is interested in eye charts so I printed off a miniature one.  The hat is a felt triangle stitched to a wire tiara.  The red cross is glued to the white felt with, oh you avid reader you're finishing my sentences --  FABRITAC.


Here is the entire outfit.  The little apron is made from an old pillowcase and gingham ribbon.  I used heat and bond lite to make the redcross applique (here is a tutorial, there are tons out there). The dress has a Marks and Spencer's label, but I actually purchased it at Value Village for $4.99.  She loves that dress.


I have linked this project to


The Girl Creative
Show and Tell Green

Frugalicious Friday at
Decor Mamma

DIY Day @ ASPTL



giveaways
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!


be sure to take a peak at all the great projects.

Have a wonderful Mother's Day Weekend!   We are taking a little vacation which includes old friends and a Betty White/Golden Girls party.

And if you threw a party-,
Invited everyone you knew-,
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say,
Thank you for being a friend-.


10 comments:

  1. Wonderful KJ! I love the transformed lunchbox and the tiara. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great play set. It would make a terrific present as well.

    I had to laugh as I came here thinking you were making a real retro styled first aid kit.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's stinkin' adorable!! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Well, too sum it up, I basically kept cutting fabric on the sides until it fit. Used the extra fabric for the ties, and then sewed everything up. It was sortof a disaster, so maybe next time, I'll make a tutorial. :) Good luck transforming your skirts!
    www.frundy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! They are sooo cute! I know my daugter would love it too! Thank you for sharing! I would love it, if you would link up to my link party on Wednesday. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh!!! You have no idea how much I love this! I LOVED Nurse Nancy as a girl, and I also had my mom's copy, and now I have it here for my girls! Mine love doctor's kits, but we don't have eye charts or anything. I'll have to make those.

    I can't believe I just found your blog today. Where have you been all my life??

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS Value Village is one of my favorite stores in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute & guaranteed to get hours of play. I made a felt doctor's kit for my guys a while back too. The homemade ones are always the most fun. I can't believe you found a Marks & Spencers dress here in North America! Thanks for linking up to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously SO cute! My 3 year old would love this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I featured you!
    http://lebedafamily.blogspot.com/2010/05/motivate-me-monday-2.html

    Jennifer @ Life With The Lebedas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!