Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Felt Matryoshka (Nesting) Dolls

This post is linked to Serving Pink Lemonade's 2010 Year in Review, if you are visiting from the party, welcome!



Our long road trip this past weekend gave me a chance to finish some handstitching projects while the girls were passed out on goldfish in the backseat.

I finally completed this nesting doll project.  The puppets fit inside each other - just like nesting dolls.


I purchased the pattern from Aimee Ray's Etsy shop, but I did not incorporate all of the suggested hand embroidery (frankly because I am a not confident about my embroidery skills).  I also modified the head coverings and colour combinations as I was going for a different look.

Here is a close up.





I really like how the project turned out.  The girls enjoy playing with the puppets, almost as much as our wooden nesting doll sets.

Minus the one on the far right which is porcelain, from Anthro, and off-limits. 

I developed my nesting doll fetish in 1997 after visiting Russia. 

I love seeing nesting dolls used in unusual ways.  Case in point: a Matryoshka USB flash drive. This one was recently featured in an issue of Rachel Ray Magazine (sadly, it is sold out).

(Via Delight)

Isn't that neat?  It made me smile! 

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out all the crafty projects at


















The Girl Creative
Show and Tell Green







DIY Day @ ASPTL

12 comments:

  1. Very cute! I loved this whole post because I've been looking for nesting dolls for my daughters. There's a Russian gift shop down the street from us with a massive selection of beautiful nesting dolls, but they're handmade and very expensive, and not intended to be toys for toddlers. I'm always on the lookout for them. I might have to download this pattern. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adorable idea! Those would look cute on the wall as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are cute! I love Metryoshka dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi..I’m Barb….I am from tip junkie. You did a great job on the dolls!!!
    I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your russian dolls are very cute, all waiting in line.
    The flash drive one is so cool. Can't say that I've seen one of those before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How darling! I have always loved those little dolls. You did a terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so sweet! Thank you for linking up to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I featured these today at MCW :) They are adorable and I can't wait to make some of my own (For the little one of course) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! My daughter loves nesting dolls (we have two of the same sets that you do)! I would love that usb drive too...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up to Tot Tuesdays. Sorry I didn't get a chance to tell you that I had featured you last week. Glad you grabbed my button anyways. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh mylanta! This is the cutest thing EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! What a fun idea. I'm so glad you linked up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!