Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What can you make from cardboard? Whimsical Recycled Paper Flower Wreath

The Crafty Crow is sharing a number of eco friendly crafts in celebration of Earth Day.  Yesterday, the Crow asked what can you make out of cardboard? 

This is our cardboard project - a whimsical wreath project which is great for kids.      

I was inspired by these flowers made out of recycled paper tubes on Parents (by the way, there are some fabulous crafts for kids on this site too).
(Via Parents, tutorial by Grace Dioguardo available here)

I gathered my stash of paper tubes
I used different lengths and cut the tubes according to the tutorial, you can also use scrapbooking scissors with wavy lines, etc.  Miss Lily started the paint job, painting each flower a single colour


After the paint dries, you and your helpers can stuff the center of each flower with tissue paper from your stash

I then cut a cardboard circle from an old "for sale" sign (12" circle, about 3" thick) and covered the circle in garden burlap

Hot glue the paper blooms to the wreath base and enjoy your work


Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out all the great projects at Tatertots & Jello's Weekend Wrap Up Party, Tea Rose Home, Sew Much Ado and Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design, and Life as Lori - just click the buttons below!
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!



Show and Tell Green
Get your craft on Thurs.




24 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! I could probably get my toddler to focus long enough to paint a couple too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful! You are certainly showing us your true colours, KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its beutiful
    xoxo
    koshy
    http://koshysblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the idea. I made napkin rings out of a toilet paper roll...now I should try this!

    I would love it if you joined my "Saturday is Crafty Day" party on April 24th! Stop by my blog for details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soooo cute...I love that the kiddos get to help make this wreath!! Thanks for sharing your idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one creative lady! That would be a great project for my kids to help me with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your wreath looks fabulous. Thanks for showing us your project. A great way to recycle and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi KJ! This is a GREAT idea! I occasionally have a group of kids absolutely who absolutely CRAVE new craft projects, and this is wonderful for kids' classes, youth groups, scout troups, etc.!!.. Nice to meet you today! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute, cute, cute...

    Hugs,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful..

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really cute. I may make something like this with my niece as she loves to craft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is super cute! Love recycled projects and this is simply adorable! Stop by the Sunday Showcase Party if you get a chance! Thanks for sharing I may need to make some flowers with my little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic ... thank you for best tip

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great idea! Your wreath looks fabulous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. No kids to share this project with, but I like the look and use of recycled things just the same! Can't wait to try this! I'm also excited to stumble on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. those are super cute and so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i featured you today :) come check out Making Monday Marvelous (MMM) @ C.R.A.F.T.!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats looks sinply stunning! Will def try this come spring again. perfect for Christmas in the other hemisphere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! A craft that my girls would love to do with me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE LOVE LOVE this wreath! I came across your blog on accident---(was looking at images of tube art on google) and so glad I did! Your blog looks like it has some awesome ideas that I will investigate more later! I made these flowers way back when, but Love the wreath idea! I'm definitely following you---living a creative life is very important to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!