Monday, April 26, 2010

Mesh Produce Bags

Our inner-city farmer's markets are set to open up next month.  I have been wanting to  sew a couple of produce bags that I could keep handy for "market day".

I recently picked up one these bags from Credo and thought about how easy it would to make one.

(Via Credo)

I was unable to find any certified organic cotton mesh on a bolt, but I did manage to find some cotton mesh in pink and white (the white is very stretchy whereas the pink is a tighter weave). The pink wasn't exactly the look I was going for, but this isn't the 80s  and it was all that was available.





Still under a twill tape hangover, I made a few twill tape labels using my alphabet rubber stamp set and setocolor fabric paint (the paint sets with the heat of an iron).  If you are sort who likes typography and sayings, you could make one that says, "eat your peas" or "mom says eat your greens" and that would be kind of cute, if only a  conversation starter at the checkout.

My bags, finished, are about 10 x 12 inches but you can make them in any size -depending on the width of your fabric and needs. It is just a "basic drawstring bag", nothing fancy.   There are a number of tutorials out there for basic drawstring bags. Happythings has a great 101 on the subject and the Purlbee has an excellent one as well.  The greatest controversy is if you want one hole for your drawstring or two (I opted for one hole and a toggle mechanism).

If you don't feel like sewing mesh, Between the Lines has an ingenious produce bag made out of a t-shirt.   Take a look. 

That's the scoop, eat more veggies.

Be sure to check out all of the great projects at



The DIY Show Off

The Girl Creative

6 comments:

  1. Those are so cute AND practical! If I actually ate healthy food, I would have to make those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mesh bags are cute with the labels. I posted about mesh bags today also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The labels really set these off! I would be delighted to see you link up at My Crafty Weekend today.
    Also, I featured your cookie cutter link; thanks for participating last week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, I need to make some of those. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work KJ! Didn't think the white stretchy one would sew well, but the bags look great. Is there anything you can't do?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you labeled the bags!!! I didn't know you could use alphabet stamps that way....I think I need to make up some promotional canvas bags stamped with my "www.thegreenctrealtor.com" website! Thanks again for all the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!