Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Birthday Gift: Jan Lutz Child's Apron


Miss Lily has a birthday party this weekend (that season again!), so I made the apron pictured above using apron A from Jan Lutz aka the Apron Lady McCall's M5720, (apron A is apron is depicted in the cover below, top right corner).


On my project, I modified the pockets slightly (made them larger and doubled the fabric).  I know many bloggers don't use commercial patterns.  I don't mind them. I was taught to sew using commercial patterns so I am comfortable using them. 

As the birthday girl is turning 6 and is quite tall, I used the 7-8 sizing.  In these photos, the apron hangs too big on Miss Lily.

If you are looking for a two-layer apron pattern, you might be interested in the girl's garden apron tutorial at I Have to Say.  I think it is more simple than the Jan Lutz design, but the same idea and just as cute.

My sister found two drapery panels of the green strawberry shortcake fabric at the Salvation Army for about $3.00 a panel. The fabric is quite heavy (deja vu: The Sound of Music). 

Captain von Trapp: I see. And where, may I ask, did they get these... ummm...



Maria: Play clothes.


Captain von Trapp: Oh, is that what you call them?


Maria: I made them. From the drapes that used to hang in my bedroom.


Captain von Trapp: Drapes?


Maria: They still have plenty of wear left. The children have been everywhere in them.


Captain von Trapp: Do you mean to tell me that my children have been roaming about Salzburg dressed up in nothing but some old drapes?


Maria: Mmm-hmmm. And having a marvelous time!
The overskirt is pale green seer sucker which was recently on sale at Fabricland.  The oversized lime green ric rac was also on sale for $1/yard.  This pattern called for contrasting bias tape around the overskirt. I made my own in a complimentary pale blue strawberry shortcake pattern (it was a remnant at Fabricland).


I sewed the little doll's apron based on the original.  It is just a single scallop overskirt.

As for the chef's hat, Mr. KJ and I went to Morton's for our Valentine's Day night out (I should clarify: we rarely get out so when we do we splurge) and our server gave me a bunch of tall chef's hats (it never hurts to ask especially when you are paying a premium). 

If I had more time, I would have sewn a chef's hat as well.  I like the Michael Miller chef's hat pattern, available here.  I also recently purchased M6049 which includes a chef's hat pattern as well.

Inside the waist band, I handstitched the sewing tape that I posted about here.  I don't have any "Lily's mom" of "let's go fly a kite" labels, so the sewing tape will have to do.  If sewing were my day job and not just a hobby, I would certainly look into the namemaker labels that Erin posted about here.


Aprons make a great gift and unique birthday gift (well, I think so).  In addition to a chef's hat, it's also fun to include a neat kitchen tool or unusual cookie cutter (we were doing unicorns for a long while). 

(Image via the Cookie Cutter Shop)

As for kitchen tools, my sister and I scored a bunch of the Kuhn Rikon Kinderkitchen utensils at Winners for 50 cents a piece.  These tools generally retail for about $8.00 each so that was certainly a good find. We cleared the place out.
(Bird's Eye Open Spoon, Image via Kuhn Rikon) 

So, that's the scoop on a birthday gift for a sweet little girl.  Thanks for stopping by!

Be sure to check out all of the great projects at

 

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!









The DIY Show Off



I'm showing off










3 comments:

  1. Found you from your link on Blue Cricket. LOVE the apron. LOVE the Sound of Music reference. Just loving your whole blog. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely delightful! I love the matching doll apron, too! Hope to see you back at my place. I have become a follower and hope that you will do the same. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new Follower From Thursday's Treasures Link Party! Visit me at http://www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=1398 and sign up for my newest giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!