Monday, February 8, 2010

Spelt Pizza Crust a Bust

We tried Anna Olson's spelt crust pizza dough recipe.    The claim in the Keep it Fresh cookbook is that the crust will be thin because spelt flour has less gluten than wheat flour.  Most pizza dough recipes call for 2 cups all purpose wheat flour.  Anna's recipe calls for 1 cup spelt flour and 1 cup wheat flour.

I had my doubts while making it.  It reminded me of the {healthy} pizza dough my mum used to buy at Kardish Bulk Food in the Ottawa Valley, circa 1978.  Awe, you know the spot, the same place your mum would buy that healthy peanut butter with all the oilish stuff on top.  I used to beg and whine for Jif.  But no.  Our family's peanut butter looked really weird.

Here's Miss Lily's Spelt Crust Pizza.



Here are the left overs.


The crust was odd. Really crunchy.
Back to Whole Foods.
I suppose it wasn't a total bust. She ate all of those carrots.

Happy Monday.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to add that I gave you left-over-spaghetti--thinking that it was grated cheese--to put on top of the pizza, and you wondered, "Why it didn't melt? It's been in for half an hour." The picture doesn't show the pre-spaghetti-scrape-off-pizza.
    Full marks for salvaging, Relic.
    The crust was almost like a Scottish shortbead; och aye--I wish it were deepfried!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!